The capital of Cotopaxi Province, Latacunga has been rebuilt three times in the wake of massive eruptions of Volcán Cotopaxi, whose perfect, snow-covered cone dominates the city skyline. Juniper trees trimmed in an assortment of geometric shapes grace its main plaza, Parque Vicente León. But Latacunga's real attractions? A couple of country lodgings well outside of town, as well as an orbit of colorful market villages.
Latacunga at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $650* & up -- Fly to Quito, Ecuador from U.S., R/T LAN Airlines
- $3359 -- Galapagos: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- Darwin's Galapagos IExplore
- $896* & up -- Fly to Galapagos Islands from U.S., R/T — $896 LAN Airlines
- Journeys of Discovery (16-Day) — $9,995 IExplore