- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Sports & the Outdoors
Few visitors take in more of this area than Otavalo's market, but if you have the time, a couple of tour operators can take you on visits and hikes to surrounding villages. Though not as well known as Baños in the Central Highlands, the nearby Chota (Class II) and Mira (Class III-IV) rivers are gaining attention in rafting circles.
Zulay Viajes, owned and operated by indigenous people, offers a variety of trekking and horseback excursions to the area surrounding Otavalo. Sucre 1014, Otavalo. 06/292-1217.
IntiExpress has a good selection of day trips to highland lakes and villages. Sucre and Morales, Otavalo. 06/292-0737.
Ecomontes Tour takes you rafting, as well as on horseback and cycling excursions in the countryside around Otavalo. Sucre and Morales, Otavalo. 06/292-6244. www.ecomontestour.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $650* & up -- Fly to Quito, Ecuador from U.S., R/T LAN Airlines
- $3359 -- Galapagos: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1222 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air — $1,222 LatinEscapes.com
- $2118 & up -- Galapagos Islands Escape w/Tours & Breakfast — $2,118 LatinEscapes.com