Getting Here & Around
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here & Around
Asunción's Aeropuerto Internacional Silvio Pettirossi (ASU) is 15 km (9 mi) northeast of downtown. The airport seems to jostle to life with each arrival and departure, and then drifts back to sleep until the the next flight. Few international airlines serve the airport, and it receives no long-haul flights, making connecting in another South American city necessary to arrive in Asunción.
Taxis are the most practical means of getting to town, and they charge a fixed rate of G93,000. The airport information desk can tell you the exact rate. It can also arrange for an ómnibus special whenever there are six or more passengers. This costs G35,000 per person, and will take you to any address in downtown Asunción.
All intercity services leave from Terminal de Ómnibus Asunción, located east of downtown. The three major bus companies, La Encarnaceña, Pluma, and Rápido Yguazú, also have information booths on Plaza Uruguaya.
Asunción's spiffy public buses run every 10 minutes during the day. The fare is G2,000. As in all big cities, watch your belongings carefully.
Unless you plan to travel out of town, avoid renting a car—driving in Asunción can be a nerve-racking experience. Aggressive bus drivers, confusing routes, and never-ending road construction make even Paraguayans (who rarely follow traffic rules) nervous. Few downtown intersections have stoplights. Negotiate them carefully.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Asuncion Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $169+/Nt Expedia
- Save $$ in Asuncion: Book Fr $175+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $50/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Asuncion Fr $122+/Nt — $122 Expedia
- Explore Asuncion For Less! Book Fr $133+/Nt — $133 Save with Hotels.com, $22/night less
- Super Low Asuncion Rate: Book Fr $87+/Nt — $87 Hotels.com