- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Poll visitors for their favorite Sacred Valley community and the answer will likely be Ollantaytambo—endearingly nicknamed Olly—which lies at the valley's northwestern entrance. Ollantaytambo's traditional air has not been stifled by the invasion of tourists. Ask around for the local mercado, situated just off the Plaza de Armas, close to the pick up point for collectivos and taxis. This busy marketplace quietly evades tourism's grasp and offers a behind-the-scenes peak at life beyond the ruins. The juice stations on the second floor, towards the back, might just be the town's best kept secret.
Ollantaytambo makes a superb base for exploring the Sacred Valley and has convenient rail connections to Machu Picchu.
Ollantaytambo is also the kickoff point for the Inca Trail. You'll start here at nearby Km 82 if you wish to hike to the Lost City. Walk up to discover the fortress of Ollantaytambo, one of the most fantastic ruins in the Sacred Valley.
BCP ATM, on Ventidero 248 inside the entrance to Hostal Sauce, is the most reliable ATM in town. There is one in the Plaza de Armas, but we don't recommend using that one.
Ollantaytambo at a Glance
Elsewhere in Cusco and the Sacred Valley
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3099 -- South America 7-Nt. Escape w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking — $1,527 LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com