- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Neptune's Bounty: You'll quickly encounter cebiche—slices of raw fish or shellfish marinated in lemon juice with onions and hot peppers. Also try the corvina (sea bass) and lenguado (sole).
Lima Baroque: In El Centro, Iglesia de San Francisco's facade is considered the height of the "Lima Baroque" style of architecture. The crypt below stores the bones of dearly departed monks.
Cool Digs: More than 30 archaeological digs are around Lima, such as the pre-Inca temple Pucllana in Miraflores and the Huaca Huallamarca temple in San Isidro.
Handicrafts: Calle Alcanflores, which runs through Miraflores, has stores selling everything from hand-carved wooden masks to silver-filigree jewelry.
Park Life: On weekends families and couples fill Lima's parks, especially the ones that line Miraflores' ocean-view malecones, such as the incomparable Parque del Amor.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3099 -- South America 7-Nt. Escape w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking — $1,527 LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com