- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Most of Lima's colonial-era churches and mansions are in El Centro, along the streets surrounding the Plaza de Armas. From there, a speedy expressway called Paseo de la República (aka Via Espress) or a traffic-clogged thoroughfare called Avenida Arequipa take you south to San Isidro and Miraflores, two fairly upscale neighborhoods where you'll find the bulk of the city's dining and lodging options. East of Miraflores is Barranco, where colonial architecture is complemented by a bohemian ambience.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com