Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Discover Ancient Kingdoms: Hiram Bingham "discovered" Machu Picchu in 1911. Your first glimpse of the fabled city from the Guardhouse will be your own discovery, and every bit as exciting.
The Trail: The four-day hike of the Inca Trail from near Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu is Peru's best-known outdoor expedition. Spaces fill up quickly, but never fear: tour operators have opened up some alternative treks.
Ye Olde Technology: It was the 15th century, yet the Inca made the stones fit perfectly without mortar. The sun illuminates the windows perfectly at the solstice, and the crops grow in an inhospitable climate. And they did it all without bulldozers, tractors, or Google Earth.
Mystery: Mystics, shamans, spiritualists, astrologers, and UFO spotters, professionals and wannabes, flock to this serene region. Even the most no-nonsense curmudgeons find themselves contemplating history's secrets.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com