The Amazon Basin Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
The River: The Amazon is a natural choice for adventures, but sign up with a tour operator, who will know the safest places to explore.
Wild Things: Peru's Amazon basin has more than 50,000 plant, 1,700 bird, 400 mammal, and 300 reptile species. Bring binoculars.
Bass Fishing: Anglers test their skills versus the peacock bass, one of the world's strongest freshwater fighters.
River Lodges: Staying at a lodge on the Amazon, or one of its tributaries, is almost a prerequisite to visiting the Amazon Basin, where river and jungle life surround you.
Bird World: The incredible array of fantastical-looking birds will make an avian fanatic out of you. Boat cruise by the Allpahuayo Mishana National Reserve, Tamshiyacu Tahuayo Reserve, or Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com