- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The most common mode of transportation in Iquitos is the mototaxi, a three-wheeled motorcycle with a canvas top. Service in town costs around S/1.50, whereas a trip to the outskirts costs around S/10 an hour. Always negotiate the price beforehand. It should cost S/3 to Port Bellavista Nanay, where you can hire a boat to the butterfly farm, serpentarium and a Yagua, or Bora Indian village, though those places are best visited with a guide.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com