- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- knowledgeable guides
- in the Tambopata Reserve
- responsible tourism
- basic meals
Explorer's Inn Review
Founded in 1975, this lodge on the Tambopata River was one of the country's ecotourism pioneers, and dozens of biological studies have been completed in its forest. It accommodates tourists and visiting scientists alike in thatched-roof bungalows, and the selling point here is exposure to nature rather than comfort. It is one of the few lodges inside the Tambopata National Reserve, which can be explored on 30 km (18½ mi) of trails. Moreover, it offers exclusive access to the oxbow lake of Cocococha, which is home to giant otters, agami herons, and other rare species. The abundant wildlife provides ample reward for travelers willing to rough it. The minimum stay is three days/two nights.
- Address: Tambopata River, 58 km (36 mi) southwest of, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/447-8888
- Website: www.explorersinn.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 30 rooms.
- Rate includes all meals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com
We went to Peru April 20-30 and really enjoyed our time there—the food, scenery, sights, and people all make the country an exceptional place to visit.
Peru Star Hotel- nice rooms and location, Read more
The history of our marriage is as unique as our honeymoon. Read more
Hello Travel Experts!
We just booked our international tickets to Peru and I need some help planning my itinerary there. We're getting into Lima on June 28th and will be headed back to the US on July 7th. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more