- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Heath River Wildlife Center
At a Glance
- lots of wildlife
- macaw clay lick
- nice bungalows
Heath River Wildlife Center Review
The spacious screened bungalows at this InkaNatura-owned lodge are among the most comfortable eco-accommodations in Madre de Dios, and they're ideal for full-blown wildlife fans: in fact, guests frequently see such rare animals as tapirs or jaguars. The center is actually in Bolivia, but you don't officially enter that country. It is near both the Tambopata National Reserve and Bolivia's Madidi National Park. In addition to its own protected forest, traversed by miles of trails, the lodge offers convenient access to a collpa visited by hundreds of parrots and macaws, as well as an oxbow lake called Cocha Moa. A 90-minute hike from the lodge takes you to a savannah-like ecosystem called Pampas de Heath that's home to birds found nowhere else in Peru. Most people combine a stay here with a couple of nights at the Sandoval Lake Lodge.
- Address: 123 km (76 miles), or five hours by boat, east of, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/203-5000
- Website: www.inkanatura.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 10 bungalows.
- Rate includes all meals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com
We went to Peru April 20-30 and really enjoyed our time there—the food, scenery, sights, and people all make the country an exceptional place to visit.
Peru Star Hotel- nice rooms and location, Read more
The history of our marriage is as unique as our honeymoon. Read more
We are looking for a 4 or max 5 day tour of the Amazon. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more