The Central Highlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Handicrafts: Ayacucho has retablos—three-dimensional scenes of religious and historical events. Quinua has ceramic workshops. The Mantaro Valley has Mates Burilados, silver filigree, and alpaca textiles.
Warm Mugs: Street vendors sell calientitos, a pisco-spiked herbal tea, and ponche, a sweet, frothy blend of milk, sesame, cloves, cinnamon, and walnuts.
Market Day: Villagers trek in with their goods ready to hawk and trade for whatever they can. Head to the Mantaro Valley and there's a market every day.
Ethnotourism: Design silver jewelry, learn to weave, cook papas a la huancaína, or help orphaned children. Huancayo has excellent interactive tourism opportunities.
World's Second-Highest Train: It's no longer number one, but you can still chug your way from Lima to 4,782 meters (15,685 feet) before dropping down to the valleys surrounding Huancayo.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3099 -- South America 7-Nt. Escape w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking — $1,527 LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com