The Central Highlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Tour & Travel Agencies
Ayacucho is surrounded by archaeological ruins and natural wonders, all of which can be viewed on a package tour. Morochucos Travel Services has city excursions and routes to Huari, Quinua, Valle Huanta and Vilcashhuamán.
Around Huancayo you can hike, bike, and explore local villages with the amazing Incas del Perú, which also has a Spanish-language school, book exchange, and folk-art collection. They will also arrange volunteering and hiking throughout the Manataro Valley and high jungle, as well as music, cooking, weaving, and gourd-carving workshops. Murakami Tours and Wanka Tours are among the better options from the numerous package-tour offices in town. Dargui Tours offers multiday tours of the region, with a focus on the archaeological ruins around Huancayo.
Max Adventures in Tarma has several tour packages, local maps, and information.
Dargui Tours (Jr. Ancash 367, Ayacucho. 064/238-100. www.darguitours.com.)
Incas del Perú (Giráldez 652, Huancayo. 064/223-303. www.incasdelperu.com.)
Max Adventures (2 de Mayo 684, Tarma. 064/323-908.)
A&R Tours (9 de Diciembre 130, Ayacucho. 066/311-300.)
Perú Latino Travel Agency (Lima 320, Tarma. 064/321-725.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com