- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Casa Hacienda Shismay
At a Glance
- incredible value
- spectacular scenery
- 45 minutes from Huánuco
- no public transportation
- might be too rustic for some
Casa Hacienda Shismay Review
For lovers of beautiful landscapes and peaceful scenery, Casa Hacienda Shismay, founded in 1851, is a slice of paradise in the highlands of Peru. This elegant colonial hacienda sits 45 minutes and 17 km (10.5 miles) outside the city in the rural community of Shismay. Four rustic rooms with four beds each round a courtyard brimming with flowers, and an endless wood supply keeps them warm on cool nights. The Hierba Buena restaurant ($) serves homemade regional specialties. The hotel is an excellent starting point for day hikes to four nearby lakes, whose crystalline waters are matched by epic mountain scenery. The hotel can arrange horseback riding, trekking, bird-watching, and homestays in the area.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com
We went to Peru April 20-30 and really enjoyed our time there—the food, scenery, sights, and people all make the country an exceptional place to visit.
Peru Star Hotel- nice rooms and location, Read more
The history of our marriage is as unique as our honeymoon. Read more
All of sudden our confirmed booking for the Machu Pichu Sanctuary lodge has gone from confirmed to wait listed !! ?? Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives ? Money not really any object.
cheers Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more