- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A mere hour east of Lima puts you in the foothills of the Andes, a windy, barren landscape where llamas and alpacas wander upon vast, puddle-filled fields. Roads and rails twist around the peaks and pass by ramshackle mountain towns before gradually sliding down from the highlands into muggy jungle en route to Tingo María and Pucallpa. Southeast from Tarma on the way to Ayacucho is more mountain terrain, where over the centuries jagged stubs of forested stone have protected great archaeological finds.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com