The North Coast and Northern Highlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
The Ancient World. Along the coast, Chavín, Moche, and Chimú ruins date as far back as 3,000 BC. In the highlands are Wari sites, and Kuélap, a stunning complex built by the Chachapoyans a thousand years before Machu Picchu.
Real Peru. People are friendly, excited to talk to foreigners, and want to share their culture. The coast's warmer temperatures don't hurt either.
Outdoor Adventure. The highlands provide plenty of trekking, climbing, and rafting, especially around Huaraz, where mountains soar above 6,000 meters (19,500 feet).
Colonial Architecture. The coastal city of Trujillo is one of the best places for colonial architecture. It's like walking into a time warp, and you may feel inspired to wear a hoop skirt or starch your collar.
Beaches. The northernmost coast offers year-round sun, white-sand beaches, and a relaxed, tropical atmosphere, especially in Máncora and Punta Sal.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com