The North Coast and Northern Highlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Exploring the Ancients
If seeing the important archaeological sites, ruins and museums are your main priority, start your journey in Trujillo and the important Moche pyramids of the Huaca de la Luna and Huaca del Sol, as well as Chán Chán, built by the Chimú people (but be sure to take at least a day to walk around and enjoy the spectacular colonial architecture). From here, head north to Chiclayo and peer into the Tomb of Sipán and explore world-class historical museums. If you can extend your trip past a week, probably for another four to five days, take the bus from Chiclayo to Chachapoyas and visit Kuélap, a precursor to Machu Picchu built over one thousand years before.
Exploring the Outdoors
If you want to see the spectacular mountains of the highlands, head up (and up and up) to the mountain town of Huaraz. Drink water and take a day or so to acclimatize to the altitude, taking in the local sights and hot springs. Take a three-day trek around the Cordillera Blanca. Discuss the numerous options with your guide. If you can extend your trip past a week, head to Trujillo to enjoy the architecture and ruins. Note: you can fly to Huaraz, but there's only one flight per week so it takes careful advance planning.
Rest and Relaxation
If you want to take a week to relax, fly from Lima to Piura, walk around the city, eat in one of the excellent restaurants, and sleep in one of the first-rate hotels. After a relaxing breakfast at your hotel (almost always included in the price of your room), head to Máncora or Punta Sal for the next few days. Regardless of where you stay, you'll be able to relax on the beach or poolside, and—if you're inspired to get out of your beach chair—to go on a fishing trip, learn to surf or try the even more adventurous kite-surfing.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3099 -- South America 7-Nt. Escape w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking — $1,527 LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com