- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
If you're driving along the coast, Chala, with nearby Puerto Inca, is a good place for an afternoon stretch. The coastal village is surrounded by quiet beaches. The shore is lined with hole-in-the-wall restaurants, which lack names but serve enormous plates of fresh-cooked fish. There isn't much here, but after grabbing a bite you can walk along the beach, Playa Grande, or visit the ruins of Puerto Inca.
Informally, the village is now split into two, Chala Norte and Chala Sur. The town isn't large enough to warrant such separation, but the north (Chala Norte) is an older, dodgy part of town, and the south (Chala Sur) is the newer section of town.
Chala at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Southern Andes and Lake Titicaca
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com