The Southern Andes and Lake Titicaca Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Wild Rivers: Fantastic rapids and gorges make Colca Canyon and Cotahuasi Canyon the region's best-known kayaking and rafting spots.
Folk Fiestas: Whether it's the La Virgen del Candelaria festival in Puno, Arequipa's annual Anniversary, or Semana Santa in Chivay, Peru's culture is celebrated with more than 300 festive folkloric dances and brightly colored costumes.
Wildlife: Llamas, vicuñas, and alpaca roam the Reserva Nacional Salinas y Aguada Blanca, giant Andean condor soar above Colca Canyon, and rare bird species nest at Lake Titicaca and in the coastal lagoons of Meija.
Shopping: Along with Arequipa's alpaca stores, this region is also a mine of yarn, leather products, guitars, and antiques.
Floating Islands: On Lake Titicaca, made from the lake's totora reeds, the series of Uros islands float, providing residence to more than 3,000 Aymara and Quechua inhabitants.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com