The Southern Andes and Lake Titicaca Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Arequipa is churning out scores of fashionistas who are responsible for creating some of the country's most sophisticated alpaca knits.
Jenny Duarte. For fine dresses with a French-trained local designer there's Jenny Duarte, who doesn't shy away from using alpaca and other regional fibers. Claustros de la Compañia, General Morán 118, Arequipa. 054/283-693. www.jennyduarteperu.com. Cuesta del Olivo, 118 Mirador de Yanahuara.
Kuna. Formerly called Alpaca 111, Kuna is the go-to destination for alpaca scarves, gloves, socks, sweaters, and jackets. Santa Catalina 210, Arequipa. 054/282-485. www.kuna.com.pe.
Sol Alpaca. The Michell Group's Sol Alpaca has gone haute couture, constructing fine-quality knits, helping hoist Peru onto the international fashion scene. Santa Catalina 210, Arequipa. 054/221-454.
Since many couturiers make their home in Arequipa, a few have alpaca clothing outlets. Incalpaca is the maker of the Kuna, Alpaca 111, TUMI, and CONDOR labels and has two factory outlets in Arequipa, a small one in the Claustros de la Compañia, and a larger one 15 minutes outside of town on Avenida Juan Bustamante s/n, in the Tahuaycani district. The Michell Group, the umbrella company of Sol Alpaca, has an ecotourist center called Mundo Alpaca, in Alameda San Lázaro, an upscale boutique with a camelid zoo, an art gallery, and textile museum.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com