The Southern Andes and Lake Titicaca Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Quechua farmers once irrigated narrow, stacked terraces of volcanic earth along the canyon rim to make this a productive farming area. These ancient fields are still used for quinoa and kiwicha grains, and barley grown here is used to brew Arequipeña beer.
Most of those who live along the rim today are Collagua Indians, whose settlements date back more than 2,000 years. Their traditions persevered through the centuries. In these unspoiled Andean villages you'll still see Collaguas and Cabana people wearing traditional clothing and embroidered hats. Spanish influence is evident in Achoma, Maca, Pinchollo, and Yanque, with their gleaming white sillar (volcanic-stone) churches.
Steeped in colorful folklore tradition, locals like a good fiesta. Some of the larger festivals include La Virgen del Candelaria, a two-day fiesta in Chivay on February 2 and 3; later in the month Carnivál is celebrated throughout the valley. Semana Santa (holy week) in April is heavily observed, but for a more colorful party don't miss Chivay's annual anniversary fiesta on June 21. From July 14 to 17 the Virgen del Carmen, one of the larger celebrations kicks off with parades on both ends of the canyon: Cabanaconde and Chivay. All Saints Day is well-honored on November 1 and 2 as is La Virgen Imaculada on December 8.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com