- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Taquile Island Review
35 km (22 mi) east of Puno in the high-altitude sunshine, Taquile's brown dusty landscape contrasts with green terraces, bright flowers, and the surrounding blue waters. Snowcapped Bolivian mountains loom in the distance.
Taquile folk are known for weaving some of Peru's loveliest textiles, and men create textiles as much as the women. Islanders still wear traditional dress and have successfully maintained the cooperative lifestyle of their ancestors. The annual Taquile festival the third week of July is a great time to visit.
Taquile is on a steep hill with curvy long trails, which lead to the main square where islanders often perform local dances for tourists. There are many ways to reach the top of Taquile where there are Inca and Tiahuanaco ruins; the most popular way is to climb up the 533 stone steps, or take a longer path. The boat trip takes about four hours each way and there is no transportation on land once you arrive. Visitors wishing to stay the night are lodged in small bed-and-breakfasts or in the homes of local families. If you are not prepared for an arduous walk, then you should probably skip Taquile Island.
- Location: Lake Titicaca
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com
We went to Peru April 20-30 and really enjoyed our time there—the food, scenery, sights, and people all make the country an exceptional place to visit.
Peru Star Hotel- nice rooms and location, Read more
The history of our marriage is as unique as our honeymoon. Read more
Hello All i hope you can give your honest and excellent opinions on my GF and I's 19 day itinenary in Peru. Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more