- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A good jumping-off point is Arequipa. Acclimatize while taking in the sights, then head to the Colca Canyon Valley. The five-hour drive travels over the Patapampa pass for views of the Valley of the Volcanoes, and through the Reserva Nacional Salinas y Aguada Blanca, where herds of wild vicuñas, llamas, and alpaca graze. At the Canyon, you can go on a multiday hike or relax at a resort, but nearly everyone comes to spy condors at Cruz del Condor. After, head back to Arequipa and on to Puno and Lake Titicaca where you can book an overnight island homestay and visit the floating islands and the Sillustanti ruins. From Puno some head to Bolivia while others go to Cusco by train, bus, or plane. Similarly, you can travel to Puno from Cusco and begin your exploration in the opposite direction.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com