- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The road between Arequipa and Puno has been paved, so instead of 20 hours, now it only takes about six. Service is also good between Puno and Cusco, and so is the road between Puno and Copacabana in Bolivia. Cruz del Sur (www.cruzdelsur.com.pe), CIVA, Tour Peru, Inka Express, Flores and Ormeño (www.grupo-ormeno.com.pe) have offices in Puno and Arequipa. For your comfort and safety, take the best service you can afford. There has been crime on night buses from Arequipa to Nazca and Puno to Cusco. Several bus companies sell tickets that go direct, so buy one of those. Bus stations in Peru are known for crime, mostly theft of your belongings, so always hold on to your bags.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com