- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
In this region the Pan-American Highway parallels an ancient 240-km (149-mi) Inca footpath to Cusco, which was once used for transporting goods and for communication between the Sacred Valley and Puerto Inca, an Inca shipping port that was rediscovered in the 1950s. Unless you're driving the length of the Pan-American Highway, you'll likely be coming here from Arequipa, which is the only city with regular bus service to the region and where many Arequipeños have summer homes. Taxis and combis (van buses) will link each town to the next, but service tends to be limited to the daylight hours and is cut back drastically outside of the summer season.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com