The Southern Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Mysteries in the Desert. Marvel over the mysterious Nazca Lines, giant figures etched into the desert floor by an enigmatic ancient civilization, from the sky.
Island Life. Boats cruise around the Islas Ballestas for viewing sea lions, condors, flamingoes, and millions of guano-producing sea birds in the Paracas National Reserve.
Fun with Grapes. Go wine tasting in the grape-growing valleys of Lunahuaná and Ica and sample Peru's most famous drink, pisco, in the best bodegas (traditional wineries).
Staying Seaside. Tranquil beaches and fishing villages dot the coast just south of Lima. Top-notch surfing awaits at Punta Hermosa and Punta Rocas, and Pucusana is a charming, cliffside resort town.
Sandboarding. Test your nerve and skill sandboarding down the giant dunes at the oasis town of Huacachina, then nurse your injuries in the lagoon's magical healing waters.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3099 -- South America 7-Nt. Escape w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking — $1,527 LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com