- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A taxi from Pisco to Paracas runs about S/15, or you can take a half-hour Chaco-Paracas-Museo combi to El Chaco for S/2. From Paracas, you can catch a slow motorboat to the reserve and islands.
To visit Islas Ballestas, you must be on a registered tour, which usually means an hour or two cruising around the islands among sea lions and birds. Motorboat tours usually leave from the El Chaco jetty at 8 and 10 am. For the calmest seas, take the early tour. You'll be in the open wind, sun, and waves during boat trips, so dress appropriately, and prepare your camera for the mists in July and August. It takes about an hour to reach the park from the jetty; you're close when you can see the Candelabra etched in the coastal hills. A two-hour tour costs around S/80. Some tours continue on to visit the Paracas Peninsula during the afternoon for around S/30 extra.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3099 -- South America 7-Nt. Escape w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking — $1,527 LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com