The South Coast Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Buenos Aires
A technicality of geography: though Uruguay's entire coast appears to front the ocean, everything west of famed vacation spot Punta del Este—sister resort Piriápolis, lovely pre-independence Colonia del Sacramento, and Montevideo itself—is the Río de la Plata, the world's widest river, which fans out to 219 km (131 mi) at its broadest point. The Plate, to use its name in English, swirls in a mix of fresh- and saltwater with the changing winds and tides. Beyond the punta, the point from which Punta del Este gets its name, looms the Atlantic Ocean, and the coast takes on a more rugged, end-of-the-world look.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best South Coast restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The South Coast
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- 4-Star Awa Boutique and Design Fr $109+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $106/night less
Visitors to Punta del Este during its first heyday in the '50s and '60s rubbed shoulders with the likes of Ingmar Bergman and Yul Brynner. Even... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now57° F Drizzle 94% Humidity May 20, 2013 at 0:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Last year DH and I spent a week in Uruguay - Montevideo and up the Coast. Read more
As I posted on my planning thread (http://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/need-help-urgently-with-planning-eight-week-trip.cfm ) I'm a mid sixties, solo, female traveler, headed to South America Read more