Mérida and the Andes Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The changes are swift and unmistakable: from the treacherously winding outlying roads of Caracas and then low-lying, reddish valleys, you suddenly feel the air change as you begin your ascent into the Andes. Along the Trans-Andina Highway you pass stone-strewn fields sprouting wheat and coffee and tile-roof hamlets clinging to hillsides before reaching the páramo, the arid region above the timberline. Friendly, red-cheeked andinos (Andean people) walk perilously close to the edges of the highways, sometimes wearing traditional woven throws and sombreros to protect them from the glaring sun. Roadside stands selling coffee, honey, and bananas compete with larger establishments offering up tables and meals of arepas, cachapas, and chicken. After hitting an altitude of 13,146 feet at Paso Pico El Aguila (Eagle Peak Pass), the highway descends past towns such as Apartaderos, San Rafael de Mucuchíes, and Mucuchíes before reaching the capital city of Mérida. This ride is one of the most exhileratingly beautiful in all of Venezuela: if you can afford the time, the car rental, and are up to the challenge, then go for it—it's truly an adventure you won't soon forget.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Merida and the Andes restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Mérida and the Andes
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $650* & up -- Fly to Quito, Ecuador from U.S., R/T LAN Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- $3359 -- Galapagos: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- Chile's Atacama Desert IExplore
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now77° F Mostly Cloudy 61% Humidity May 23, 2013 at 8:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I am planning a trip to Colombia for 2 weeks beginning on june 27th. I am a female traveling alone (which I am quite used too). I am wondering if it is safe? From what I have read so far, I Read more
Within November/December 2009 we have been to Venezuela, travelling independently and using public transport. Read more
I've been looking around websites of airlines and it seems hard to find flights that go directly to Venezuela. Read more