The oldest European settlement on South America's mainland, Cumaná was founded by the Spanish in 1521. Most of its colonial buildings were destroyed by a string of earthquakes that devastated the town. It's a hike to get here, but those who make the effort almost always come away with rave reviews. The scenery and outlying beaches, in particular, are fabulous.
Cumaná at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $650* & up -- Fly to Quito, Ecuador from U.S., R/T LAN Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- $1222 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com
- Belize Family IExplore