Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Salt Lake City, Twin Falls, Jackson Hole recommendations!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2020, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Our family of 7 (all 20 years old or older) is flying in to SLC and driving to Twin Falls, then Idaho Falls for two nights, then to Jackson, then returning to SLC For two nights before flyIng home. We have 7 days to vacation. Please recommend some “must see/ do” sites.
Thanks in advance,
Merry K
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 06:33 AM

What do you have already on your agenda? The loop strikes me as a bit odd, since I don't think of Idaho Falls or southern Idaho in general as that appealing and those destinations are fairly close together. Jackson, of course, brings you to the Tetons. The drive from Idaho Falls over the Teton Pass to Jackson is beautiful.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 07:00 AM

Neither Twin Falls nor Idaho Falls itself has a great deal to offer. There's Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls but that doesn't require a long visit. How long are you staying in Twin Falls? If you have time to travel north, the Sawtooth Mountains are beautiful and Craters of the Moon National Monument is interesting but they're some distance from Twin Falls. Another possibility is City of Rocks National Monument southeast of Twin Falls.

I would re-allocate Idaho Falls nights to Jackson or Yellowstone.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 08:26 PM

We did a SLC to Idaho to Wyoming (jackson hole/yellowstone) to Montana to South Dakota trip 3 years ago. I think you can find some info if you search my name for a trip report.
We were unexpectedly delighted with Idaho. We did Shoshone Falls, Craters of the Moon Park (this was very cool to us), then travelled to Rexburg ID and rented ATV's at St. Anthony's Sand Dunes. This was and remains a highlight of our many trips. When we headed to Teton our float guide was shocked we had gone there - it's apparently well known to the locals but not to many tourists. Check it out if you have any interest in adventure
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 05:07 PM

I'm assuming you are seeing family?? I'm from this area. I wouldn't stay in Twin or IF at all. I would take a leg stretch break at the Museum of Eastern Idaho in Idaho Falls but that's it. Try Sun Valley, or Driggs, Idaho. Craters of the Moon is really cool. So is City of Rocks if you like rock climbing/scrambling. You could stay a night at Bear Lake between Jackson and SLC. There is plenty to do in SLC environs for 2 days. Go to the Cottonwood Canyons to hike. Ride mountain bikes downhill at Park City or Deer Valley ski resorts. See Red Butte Gardens. What time of year is this trip? This year, next summer? What is the fitness level of your family members?What do they like to do??
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Originally Posted by StantonHyde
I'm assuming you are seeing family?? I'm from this area. I wouldn't stay in Twin or IF at all. I would take a leg stretch break at the Museum of Eastern Idaho in Idaho Falls but that's it. Try Sun Valley, or Driggs, Idaho. Craters of the Moon is really cool. So is City of Rocks if you like rock climbing/scrambling. You could stay a night at Bear Lake between Jackson and SLC. There is plenty to do in SLC environs for 2 days. Go to the Cottonwood Canyons to hike. Ride mountain bikes downhill at Park City or Deer Valley ski resorts. See Red Butte Gardens. What time of year is this trip? This year, next summer? What is the fitness level of your family members?What do they like to do??
Sorry for the delay in responding. I do not know how to negotiate the site well. We did change our plans to stay in Idaho Falls. We rented a cabin in West Yellowstone for two nights. Thanks for the suggestions!