Search

Driving across Northern Spain - San Sebastien to Roses

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving across Northern Spain - San Sebastien to Roses

Hello,
We have a bit of a challenge in that we are going to rent a car in Vigo, drive into a small village in Northern Portugal to visit a friend for a few days, then head along the northern coast then across the country back to Roses in Catalonia, where we stay for 5 days before heading home from Barcelona to Canada.

So far our itinerary:
Barcelona 4 days
Valencia 3 days
train from Valencia to Vigo - overnight, then rent car
2 nights Ponte de Lima Portugal, just an hour south of Vigo

7 days unplanned with rental car - this is where we need guidance!
5 days Roses before departing from Barcelona

I hear so many good things about the northern coast from A Conuna to San Sebastien, so we will most likely take 3 or 4 days along this route.
It's getting across the country to Roses that is the issue. Hopefully we sill stop in Pamplona, but we would like to avoid larger cities and have a few stops in smaller villages. Any suggestions? As Canadians, we are used to longer drives, and as British Columbians, don't mind the winding mountainous roads.

Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 02:25 PM
kja

If you have any interest in Romanesque art and architecture, you might plan your route from San Sebastian / Donostia to Roses through the Spanish side of the Pyrenees with a night or two in Täull. FWIW, here's my old trip report, which covers my time in the north of Spain and in/around Roses and Barcelona.
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya
Old Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kja! You are my kind of traveller! Well, we might not pack as much in, but I will be going over your report again and highlighting quite a few things. I'm impressed with the cave art in norther Spain and will definitely put some research in to see which of the caves is most accessible to us as we travel. Thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed.
Old Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:50 PM
kja

I'm glad you found my TR useful, mdinbc. If you're interested in cave art, you can see some wonderful examples in that part of the world!
Old Jul 24th, 2024, 05:11 AM

From Vigo to Roses I can recommend places and some restaurants / ideas:

- In Vigo, eat seafood in “Rias Baixas” restaurant or visit “Casa Nisio”. You can book a day trip to “Islas Cies”, small wonderful islands.

- Stop in the “Playa de las Catedrales” (google it). You need to book the visit (free) because it’s a protected natural area. Visit on low tide time (the beach disappears when is high tide).

- Gijon and/or Oviedo are interesting cities for a mid-day walk.

- Santillana del Mar. Amazing town for a short visit.

- Bilbao is interesting, nice old town with a great variety of “pintxos” (little tapas). Also you can visit the Guggenheim museum.

- San Sebastian (also know as Donosti) is a must. Beautiful city with a lot of restaurants. One of the best places in the world for enjoy a meal.

- La Rioja region, with a lot of vineyards to taste the famous Rioja wine.

- Girona (arriving to Roses): Nice city with one of the most beautiful old towns. Eat in Can Roca restaurant (very cheap popular food), the parent’s restaurant of the chefs from “El Celler de Can Roca”, one of the top restaurants in the world. In the “Celler de Can Roca” (very expensive) is difficult to book a table, but it’s a great experience.

And in Roses, don’t forget to visit (all is about less than 1h driving):

- Dali’s casa museu in Figueres. It’s a crazy experience, even if you don’t like the Dali’s art. Eat in Motel Empordà.

- Besalú: Medieval town.

- Peralada: Castle & gardens. The restaurant in the castle is good and it’s main waiter is considered the best in the world (if you visit ask for the cheese cart).

- Runes d’Empuries: Greek and Roman ruins next to the sea.

- Cala Monjoi. Amazing beach where you can visit the Bulli foundation (museum of Ferran Adrià, provably the best chef ever).

Enjoy
Old Jul 24th, 2024, 08:14 AM

Sos del Rey catolico has a parador and could be a stop on your travels going east:

and San Juan de la peña is about 1.5 hour from there:

Taüll is definitely worth a stop even if the frescoes are duplicates; the originals are in Barcelona:

Old Jul 24th, 2024, 08:19 AM
kja

Taüll is definitely worth a stop even if the frescoes are duplicates; the originals are in Barcelona:
Most of the frescoes in Täull are duplicates, but there are a few originals.
Old Jul 24th, 2024, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you all, this is exactly what I was hoping for! I admit to not really knowing a lot about the areas we will be visiting, and since there are so many interesting things to see and do, I knew this forum of experienced travellers would be helpful. I will be doing more detailed research now.