4 weeks for Italy in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2024, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our plan is to leave DC on Oct 30 and return Nov 26. I’ve been to only Rome and Florence 4 decades ago. Husband has never been - though we are well travelled independent travelers otherwise! We are way overdue to visit Italy. We’re very mobile active seniors, but WON’T be renting a car for this trip- will rely on public/private. We want to see Rome, Florence, Naples/Almalfi, and a bit of Sicily. Chat gpt gave me a starting itin of basically a week (which included travel days between) in each locale. Trains between Rome/Florence/Naples. And flights between Naples/Palermo…. And flying back to Rome from Catania for flight back to DC. Trains, buses, etc to a few places in Sicily. Would base in Sorrento in Amalfi. What say you experts to this beginning rough itin given 4 weeks in November?
Old Jul 25th, 2024, 11:36 AM

I wouldn't choose to visit Amalfi Coast in November personally. ChatGPT came up with a few pros and cons. Just be aware:

Rain is more likely in November, and some attractions or activities might be limited due to weather conditions.
Some tourist-oriented businesses, like restaurants and shops, may have reduced hours or be closed for the season.
Certain attractions or hotels might be closed or operating on a limited schedule.
Old Jul 25th, 2024, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No Venice?

Even with a month of days, I wouldn't spend time on the Amalfi Coast in November. Although it's nice without the crowds and with lower hotel rates, the daylight hours are short, lots of things are closed, views and sightseeing can be impacted by weather. Having said that, Naples would be enjoyable when crowds and temperatures are lower, but you could also decide to make a day trip (or two) to Naples from Rome on days when you know the weather will be pleasant. If the Amalfi Coast is a must, I would put it first in the itinerary and not later in the month.

Without a car, I don't think I'd choose Sicily. Before you decide, make sure you understand the public transportation options (and limitations) at that time of year for the places you want to visit. I'd not enjoy flying to/from Sicily, but I admit I'm allergic to airports and all the issues involved. Make sure you know luggage restrictions/limits for those flights. You'd want to fly to Rome the day before your final departure.

You don't mention your interests or priorities, but there are loads of places that are very easy to visit/reach using trains and the occasional bus connections. Just from Florence, there are at least half a dozen easy day trips (which for me would mean I'd want more than a week there). Bologna is another good train hub, and there are towns in Umbria that can easily be visited from a base in, say, Perugia or Spoleto. And there are day trips from Rome besides Naples/Pompeii... Tivoli, Ostia Antica, Orvieto, Frascati. If the weather's really nice, Castel Gandolfo.

Overall, I'd prefer a itinerary that encompasses a smaller area than the AI-generated idea, fewer hotel changes, no flights, etc.

Last edited by Jean; Jul 25th, 2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jul 25th, 2024, 11:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chat GP continues to generate nonsense on itinerary.
Old Jul 25th, 2024, 11:09 PM

For Rome,Florence and Naples you don't need nor want a car.

I agree with everything above.
Old Jul 26th, 2024, 02:29 AM

Apart from hotels and restaurants, ferry schedules would be reduced in November. Even the scheduled ferries need to be cancelled if the seas are rough, which is a distinct possibility at that time of year.

Also, Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast, which would be an advantage in November. Being a larger town, with a good number of year-round inhabitants, they wouldn't roll up the sidewalks in the off season.

You can take an overnight ferry from Naples to Palermo, which might be nice.

In fact, I would be inclined to go straight to Sicily from Naples. You may need to do a little research on public transportation in Sicily, as trains are scarce and buses are operated by different companies.