Visa questions - Vietnam

Search

Visa questions - Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2024, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa questions - Vietnam

We are US citizens, planning to visit Vietnam and Cambodia in December/January. We will be flying into Vietnam, arriving at Da Nang, and after a couple weeks in country we will be going to Siem Reap, and then flying home from there with a connection in Hanoi.

Should we get a multiple-entry visa, since we will be passing through Hanoi (although not leaving the airport) on our way home?

Any advice or information as to the most efficient way to obtain the visa is also much appreciated. We have had to get visas in the past (India, Brazil, Tanzania) and it always seems there's some sort of complication or odd requirement along the way.

How early should we apply for the visa? Is it easy to do on the official website, or is it better to use a second party? How long does it generally take to receive the visa? From what I can figure out we won't have to surrender our passports (good), but there seems to be the possibility of rejection for the slightest deviation in the application process (not good) - any tips or advice?

I'm likely over thinking this, but I just got all the air flights and hotels figured out, so I guess maybe I just need something to stress about ...

Old Oct 10th, 2024, 09:44 PM

I have lost count of the number of times I have applied for a Vietnam visa! Fortunately, as a UK citizen , I no longer have to for visits of less than 45 days.

There is no need to use a third party site to apply for a visa. The official site is :

https://www.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/...trang-chu-ttdt

Before the Vietnamese eased their immigration policies, I used that site several times without any problems. It is import to follow the instructions carefully , especially re the photographs. Also, make sure to get the correct entry and exit points and the correct dates (especially if flights are around midnight) It is important to note that it is not an automated process and that at the other end, it is just a office worker pulling stuff of a computer and processing the application manually and mistakes can and do happen.

IME visas are generally approved very quickly - 48 to 72 hours. I have applied for mine an my wife visas within minutes of one another but occasionally there would be a day or two between them being approved (again the manual process!)

One tip that was given to me on TA was to take note of the time and day when submitting applications , avoid weekends and try to submit at the beginning of the working day . I always applied on a Tuesday.

I would apply now rather than leave it to the last minute.

Single v multiple. If you have a connecting flight on the same ticket you shouldn't have to go through immigration and therefore shouldn't need a multiple entry visa. I would double check with the airline concerned as you dont want to be arguing the point when checking in at Siem Reap. Get an email confirmation if you can and print it off. Cambodian officials are notoriously corrupt and may need convincing - I have had something similar happen to me in Phnom Penh airport.

"I guess maybe I just need something to stress about ..." Just like me! We are off to Mexico next week and flying via Madrid and just had a panic as I vaguely recalled that UK citizens now had to pay and fill in a form to get into the EU. Apparently not yet!

Old Oct 11th, 2024, 06:30 PM

You get the visa through a Vietnamese consulate. Ask them how much it takes to get it.

At Hanoi Airport, you will go to the transit room

North of Vietnam can be cold late December, bring some warm clothes
Old Oct 11th, 2024, 06:38 PM

I forgot to tell you that I live in Hanoi since end of 2011 and knows the country upside down, as well as Cambodia, where I have been 6 times 2 weeks. I have very detailed travel notes on both countries, including 110 pages on Vietnam. Files too big to put here. I send them to you if you give me your email address (do not forget to ask for "Cambodia and Vietnam"
Old Oct 23rd, 2024, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Well, we applied online for the visas last week - and both have been returned for resubmission. It says because of the address where we will be in Vietnam. I copied the Hoi An hotel's address exactly from the confirmation I received, but I think maybe the ward was left off, or is incorrect in order. Tried again and resubmitted - waiting ...

Anyone have any idea how many times will they kick it back to us before denying it and keeping our fees?
Old Oct 23rd, 2024, 02:12 PM

You were unlucky for it to be kicked out for a slightly wrong address. I have never been asked to resubmit even though I never paid too much attention to the actual address of the hotel. I just put in the basics in visa apps e.g. xyz hotel , abc street , Saigon, in the past so I am surprised. On the TA forum , most seem to get kicked out for the wrong sized photo .

Old Oct 23rd, 2024, 03:25 PM

Interesting. Hope your second submission goes through. We just submitted our visa applications yesterday and crossing fingers that there are no issues - but probably won't know for a few days.