Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Other attractions around Central Tennessee?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like 7 days in Nashville and Memphis each might be overkill. Thinking it might be cool to check out the area outside the major cities but within a couple to 3 hours drive, maybe 2 days each area> We are mobile 50+ couple, with car, like antiques, Americana, southern food, music, breweries, distilleries, vineyards, history, countryside, parkland, cool small towns. We live in Hawaii so we dont care about water per se, looking for different experiences, cultural exposure, getting a real taste of the state. What suggestions might people who live there or who have been there have about things like that? I ordered a Tennessee tourism book a while back but it hasnt come so we are using the internet to plan. ANy and all response appreciated.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 07:02 AM

> like ... history
If the U.S. Civil War is of interest to you, there are several sites related to that conflict in Middle Tennessee. NPS sites include battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, and Stone's River. There are also numerous plaques showing where battles were fought.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 04:57 PM

I just got finished with a trip to Nashville and had briefly entertained a road trip (didn't have time). But I thought this article was a great resource: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...from-nashville

If you're really scraped for time, just go to Loveless Cafe! It is the best.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You could go to eastern Tennessee and hear another type of music in Dollywood (Pigeon Forge). You could take US 441 farther south through the Smoky Mountains to Cherokee NC.
For history, try Chattanooga to see Chikamauga National Military Park.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 08:04 AM

Go to Chattanooga. Nice happening town. Tennessee Aquarium also.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 08:16 AM

We did a tour of Franklin, TN. It was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War, but because it wasn't a pivotal battle, it rarely gets mentioned. It was a good day trip from Nashville~a stop at the Loveless for the best biscuits I've ever had, then on to Franklin. The Carnton House was used as a field hospital and is the setting for the book Widow of the South.

https://boft.org/battlefield-tours/
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 04:49 AM

Have you been to Great Smoky Mountains National Park? This is a beautiful time of year to visit the Smokies with all the wildflowers. Cades Cove is a 13 mile one way loop drive through a valley with lots of historical structures and good opportunities to see wildlife. The drive up to Clingman's Dome - the highest spot in Tennesse- with a short walk up the observation tower on a clear day is spectacular. If you're up for a short hike, one of my favorites is Andrews Bald which is a great lunch spot. However, I would stay away from Gatlinburg, the town adjacent to the park, which is purely a busy tourist town with horrible traffic.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Agree with wave725..... the Smoky Mountains are beautiful, and Gatlinburg is cheesy. My travel companion dubbed it Hillbilly Boardwalk.