Therme or spa convenient to Berlin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d appreciate it if someone could share their experiences with a spa town that is convenient to Berlin. I usually try to go swimming when recovering from jet lag, and there seem to be a lot of great option in Germany in terms of therme, but the ones I’ve come across all seem to be near Munich or in the Black Forest area. Any ideas? Plans after Berlin involve Vienna, so it could even be between the two.

I’d like somewhere large enough to at least spend a few hours, with different pool and sauna options. Clean goes without saying; a good restaurant would be a nice bonus.

Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 03:10 AM

No experiences, just some ideas.

You're right that Brandenburg(the state around Berlin) doesn't really abound in hot springs and thermal baths, but it seems to me you're more after swimming and relaxation than the curative powers of water.

In this case check out this resort near Berlin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Islands_Resort

My other idea requiring more time(at least 3 days between Berlin and Vienna including travel time) is stopping in one of the world famous classic spa towns of Czechia forming a triangle in the northwest corner of the country close to the German border: Karlovy Vary(Carlsbad), Frantiskovy Lázne(Franzensbad), Marianske Lazne(Marienbad). I was in Karlovy Vary, but didn't take the waters, so can't comment on that aspect. It's a very nice place on its own right.

Karlovy Vary is the largest and easiest to reach. It takes about 6 hours and one change of train in Usti nad Labem. I

https://wanderingcarol.com/spa-towns...zech-republic/

https://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5378/

If you want to push on to Marienbad it takes another hour by train from Karlovy Vary(you just have to walk to the other station in the lower town: Karlovy Vary dolní nádrazí) via a delightful single track branch line through romantic forests.

Moving on to Vienna you have direct trains to Prague from all 3 spa towns, than it is a 4 hour train trip between Prague and Vienna. It's altogether a 7-8 hour trip, but why shouldn't you make it a day by taking a morning train to Prague and stopping in the gorgeous city for a half day?
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 07:39 AM

See my response on Tripadvisor!