Search

Vienna or Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 12:08 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna or Amsterdam

Next September my wife and I are going to Prague and then to either Vienna or Amsterdam for 4 nights. We have been to other areas of Europe but not to these two cities. Being middle aged we are more interested in a good dinner and an after dinner coffee and dessert than an active night life. We enjoy sightseeing, including castles and art museums, but one not select one city over the other because of a museum. Would also like to be able to go on 1-2 day trips outside the selected city. I realize everyone's idea of what is enjoyable or interesting is different, but I appreciate the comments of those that have been to both Vienna and Amsterdam.
Thank you, Mrt.

Last edited by mrt; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typos
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Vienna, for the reasons mentioned by others in another post by you last month, such as plenty of outdoor day trips from Vienna. I've been to Vienna 3 times, and Amsterdam about 8 times.

I'm qualifying this post by your question and description of your interests. I joyfully take exception to your comment "Being middle aged we are more interested in a good dinner and an after dinner coffee and dessert than an active night life". I bring this up because someone once mentioned to me when I turned 50 and called myself "middle aged" that this assumes I will live to be 100, so 45 is a more accurate description of "middle aged". And now that I am 2 years past the age of Medicare, my husband and I are still more interested in an active night life than we are a good dinner and quiet retreat following dessert. I guess because now we're racing against the clock!

For you and your spouse, Vienna does not have the active night life compared to Amsterdam, which is why, I guess, we prefer Amsterdam to Vienna. But Vienna does have the beauty, and grace and definitely the after dinner coffee and dessert vibe going on. As well as plenty of churches and castles. And if you do decide to take in some "let's pretend we're teenagers again" time, I highly recommend the Prater, which even my mother, then in her early 70's, enjoyed.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 01:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to add another perspective to the age-therefore-inclinations conversation. I think it has much more to do one's interests, rather than one's age. Someone who's always liked nightlife may assume a day will come when they're less interested but I'm of the opinion that they may never tire of it & someone (myself) who has never been interested will continue to never be interested. I was an entertainer in my youth but unless forced, would always head right home after the show, almost never stayed out, still don't 50 years later. I prefer a good book, a cup of tea & nice long sleep, at home or on the road. So in my experience age has nothing to do with inclinations which may or not change as time goes on.

To answer the question, I've been to both cities, once each. I'd find out if one has a gallery or museum that piques your interest and could be a deciding factor. I found Vienna a more pleasant place with more that interested me. But it's very subjective, isn't it?
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 01:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
We lived in Vienna for 7 years before moving to the U.S. in late June, and September in Vienna and the surrounds can be lovely. We have also been to Amsterdam, albeit in a spring and with our then 8 and 13 year-old children so the itinerary was a bit different. There are numerous harvest and wine festivals in Vienna and the nearby, accessible via ÖBB (even if you do not imbibe the festivals are in idyllic settings) and a few "Wine Wanders," where one can enjoy the changing colors of the vineyards and indulge in a taste or two of the fermented grape and local snacks. September was our favorite month to be in Austria; the autumn festivals (and Almabtriebe!) will always be fondly held memories for us.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 04:11 PM
kja

IMO, both cities are delightful! I hate to spend time in transit when I can spend it on the ground (unless, of course, the point of the experience is the transportation), so I'd opt for Vienna -- an easy 4 hour train trip away, rather than Amsterdam, which is much further and would probably mean taking a flight (not a particularly green solution, if that matters).
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrt
Next September my wife and I are going to Prague and then to either Vienna or Amsterdam for 4 nights. We have been to other areas of Europe but not to these two cities. Being middle aged we are more interested in a good dinner and an after dinner coffee and dessert than an active night life. We enjoy sightseeing, including castles and art museums, but one not select one city over the other because of a museum. Would also like to be able to go on 1-2 day trips outside the selected city. I realize everyone's idea of what is enjoyable or interesting is different, but I appreciate the comments of those that have been to both Vienna and Amsterdam.
Thank you, Mrt.
Vienna.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 10:18 PM

>>> we are more interested in a good dinner and an after dinner coffee and dessert.
Vienna!
People seem to be drinking coffee and eating desserts round the clock.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 09:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Vienna. It just sounds more like what you are looking for. With the disclaimer I have only been to Amsterdam. Which was nice but not a place I need to rush back to.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 10:38 AM

Vienna. Why waste a day travelling to Amsterdam, which is expensive and overcrowded, though you can sit around eating cake and drinking coffee there just as well as in Vienna.
If you were closer to Amsterdam I'd say Amsterdam but from Czechia Vienna is a no-brainer.

Save the Netherlands for another trip and get away from Amsterdam to some of the more enjoyable, less expensive, less crowded places.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I also say Vienna. We were there in Sept. a few years ago and it was one of our favorite vacations.

Several Fodorites recommended Pension Suzanne. Perfect location to walk to so many sites,
restaurants, and shopping. Right near transportation to several out of town sites. We could not have chosen a better place to stay.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ne-Vienna.html

Look under my trip reports for some suggestions.
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 05:40 AM

Vienna Wins

After reading your thoughts and ideas on traveling, I would recommend choosing Vienna over Amsterdam. Even though I found both of them beautiful (as I was lucky enough to have visited them both, hence I can state my own personal impressions and compare the two), I think the splendid ambiance and sites in Vienna are perfect for slower-paced traveling and wining&dinning in beautiful surroundings.

I think Vienna boasts more sightseeing opportunities to what I imagine you'd prefer, such as the Hofburg, St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Vienna State Opera House, Vienna City Hall, the Albertina, etc. Also, even though both of the cities are popular destinations, I find Amsterdam a bit overcrowded sometimes, making it hard to fully enjoy the traveling experience.

In addition to it all, there are numerous options for day tours from Vienna, such as visiting Klosterneuburg Abbey on the outskirts of the city (it's situated nearby Vienna Woods, another great location to explore), Rohrau (the birthplace of Haydn) and numerous other beautiful cities nearby Vienna, such as Salzburg or Bratislava.

As I've mentioned before, these are only my personal insights on the matter, as it is a rather subjective one. Whichever you decide, I am pretty sure it is going to be an unforgettable experience, thus I hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 06:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amsterdam for me, not to say anything bad about Vienna especially but Amsterdam is just more interesting.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 02:30 AM

When I was in my twenties, I fell in love with Amsterdam and would have loved to have lived there. I also visited Vienna (albeit more briefly) and felt no desire to go back. Now, thirty years later, I'm about to visit Vienna again and I'm really curious to see how I like it the second time around. Very often, how we react to a place is about the weather, a single positive or negative experience, the people we meet, an eye opening experience. It's almost always a purely subjective experience. When in your situation, more than anything else I look at images of the two places I'm keen to visit and decide on that basis. Vienna certainly fits better from a logistical point of view and that's super important because you don't want to waste time travelling - and I agree with kja that I too would avoid flying if at all possible.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I absolutely HATE Vienna. I think the food is heavy and gross. The Viennese are far too formal and snobby for my taste. The weather sucks.

Vienna certainly isn't exciting the way New York or Berlin are exciting.

Can't you go to Salzburg instead. At least it is pretty.

Thin,aristocrat ☕
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 07:52 AM

I tend to agree with Pepper. Vienna has never grabbed me, and offended me on occasion. I would choose Amsterdam, which while overcrowded most of the time at least has a friendly population.

There are so many wonderful cities in Europe, though. Does it have to be limited to these two choices?
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 09:22 AM

“Can't you go to Salzburg instead. At least it is pretty. “

Yes but in Salzburg the food is generally gross, the locals snobby and the weather also sucks.

At least it has the distinction of been home to the worst restaurant in the world.....

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...rian_Alps.html

Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 09:53 AM

Too snobby for Thin the Aristocrat!! How is that possible? I fear the world may be coming to an end.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not snobby. Everyone knows how funny and friendly I am.

I am the life of the party and you know it. 🥳

Thin,aristocrat 🏦
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 10:48 AM

True; it would be deadly dull here without you. You're very talented with the icons, too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 10:58 AM

The food is a lot better in Vienna. Nobody travels for Dutch food. The only thing worse than Dutch food is Czech food, so you will be hitting two depressing cuisines in the same trip if you follow Prague with Amsterdam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -