Moab to Monument Valley

Search

Moab to Monument Valley

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2020, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab to Monument Valley

Hi - I知 in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Utah in mid-July. We will be driving from Moab to Monument Valley and would like to see Natural Bridges National Monument along the way. What is the best route to take to do this? Is it possible to do without driving the Mokee Dugway? Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Going south on US 191 from Moab, turn right onto Utah 95 south of Blanding. There are several trails to see the Natural Bridges and a loop road that brings you back to 95. It is about 2.5 hours from Moab to Natural Bridges. Once you get back to US 191, continue south to US 160 west to see Monument Valley. Be sure to have a full gas tank when you leave Moab. You won't see a gas station until you get to Tuba City on US 160.
Where are you headed after Monument Valley? Page, Grand Canyon east gate or Flagstaff?
Old May 28th, 2020, 08:03 PM

There are gas stations in Monticello, Blanding, Bluff, and probably Mexican Hat. Stop at Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding--truly amazing.
Old May 29th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! After Monument Valley we致e going up to Capital Reef then to Salt Lake City. I値l post the full itinerary for critique as soon as I get a couple of things nailed down.
Old May 29th, 2020, 02:20 PM

Looking at Google maps it makes as much sense to visit Natural Bridges on the way to Capitol Reef as from Moab to Monument Valley.
Old May 30th, 2020, 07:41 AM

If you go to the Park website and chose "Brochure Map" the schematic shows the one-way loop with the entrance and pulllout locations. I'd recommend printing it out or downloading it.

The turnoff is from 95 onto 275 which leads into the park. It is the same turnoff regardless of whether you come from the east or the west. Google Maps works fine, so if coming from Monument Valley it will show you 163 to Mexican Hat, then north on 261 which reaches 95 just east of where 275 joins up. I'd recommend downloading an offline version of the Google Maps for the area, as cell service is likely limited or nonexistent. Or even print paper directions. From the turnoff it's due east on 95 to Blanding (about 35-40 miles). Blanding is on US 191. (which takes you to Moab).

https://www.nps.gov/nabr/planyourvisit/maps.htm

There is also an unpaved road via Bears Ears NM however I don't know the status of the road. You may want to try to contact the local Forest Service District by telephone. I know all of our visitor centers are closed here.

If Edge of Cedars State Park VC is open, that's another place to try.

See here
https://www.utahscanyoncountry.com/E...ars-State-Park

Note that driving on unpaved roads isn't a good idea anyways when there has been or might be rain.

PS I would download and print the Brochure Maps for ALL of the sites you are going to visit. There may not be maps handed out when you visit.

Last edited by mlgb; May 30th, 2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old May 31st, 2020, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi - Thanks very much for this info. I think going to Natural Bridges on the way from MV to Capitol Reef will work better as we also want to go to the Needles District of Canyonlands on the way from Moab to MV. Unfortunately we棚値l be in a rental car so dirt/gravel roads are a no go. We値l definitely have paper maps with us!
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 07:08 AM

Another tip..around Monument Valley the whole time zone situation can be very confusing, since you've got the State of Arizona, State of Utah and Navajo Nation!

https://monumentvalleyview.com/the-v...fact-sheet-qa/