August Beach Vacation - Not in CA/HI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a very broad request, but we are on the West Coast and don't have a lot of knowledge about other beach towns in the U.S.

The kids want to go to the beach for a week, somewhere with warm water. Looking to mostly swim, snorkel and relax. A resort/town that could offer golf, fishing and a little bit of sightseeing would be a plus. And a place that's away from the hustle and bustle of a large city would be lovely.

We appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other than CA and HI, I can't think of many places to snorkel unless you want to go to Florida.

Hatteras Island, North Carolina maybe? The Hatteras Island Inn looks nice. The closest golf would be about an hour away though.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Jun 28th, 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 04:57 PM
J62

There are literally hundreds of beach towns, from Maine to Florida, and over to Texas..

Nothing along the Atlantic coast will have snorkeling - except for perhaps far south Florida. Even along the Florida gulf coast there ain't much to see unless you go out to a dive site.
Ocean water temps range from the 60's at Maine (I'll be wearing my wetsuit there to swim..), low to mid 70's down the shore through NJ/DE, and warmer as you get further south. The Atlantic ocean is also not peaceful (like the Pacific was once thought to be in 1520....) The gulf is calm, and in the summer will feel like bathwater - as warm as 90 for the entire Gulf coast which feels way to warm for me to enjoy but ymmv. Somewhere with a pool you could swim in as well would be nice. Many 1 or 2 family properties in older beach towns won't have pools, but hotels or larger complexes would.

Golf abounds just about anywhere along the coast, except perhaps Hatteras Island?? Beach towns through the Carolinas (eg Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head) and all through FL, golf courses are everywhere - you can't go more than a mile or 2 without tripping over one.

So if you strike snorkeling you will open up more possibilities.
If warm water is a must, then no further nortth than VA.
Golf a must, avoid Hatteras Island.

Old Jun 28th, 2021, 08:57 PM

South Padre Island in Texas sounds like just the ticket.
Old Jul 3rd, 2021, 02:16 PM

Never been to TX beaches but you don't have a lot of choices if you want warm water. I'd say Gulf Coast of FL. Now I haven't been to AL, I think they have beaches but I don't know what they are like.

Forget the snorkeling, that just isn't very good hardly anywhere in the US (except HI, some places in CA and FL, and of course PR and the USVI). I've read there is an estuary near S Padre Is in TX that is good, also, so that is probably a good idea for you, as suggested above. Some of these places aren't natural reefs, either (I think off TX, youve got oil rig equipment instead). There is a manmade reef near Navarre Beach, FL, you could go there (that's near Pensacola and Destin). I presume you don't want to go all the way to the Keys where there is good snorkeling.

The problem is, unlike CA, these places are hot, hot hot in August. YOu couldn't pay me to go to FL in AUgust, but you may not care. I wouldn't go to South Padre Is, either, in August. And the places not so hot won't have warm water.

If it weren't August, I would consider the USVI, actually, Iike St John, which is good for families. Cinnamon Bay is good for snorkeling, shallow water. Also, I've been snorkeling in Puerto Rico which is great, but I also wouldn't go there in AUgust.

I suppose N/S Carolina may be the best, I just haven't been there for beaches, so don't know what would work in terms of what you want. I know you can't do snorkeling.

YOu can snorkel at Biscayne Bay in FL, also, near Miami. Well, that's almost to the Keys. I don't know about the small town thing though.
https://www.biscaynenationalparkinstitute.org/