Search

Fourth Trip Costa Rica: Need location ideas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2023, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fourth Trip Costa Rica: Need location ideas

HI,
We are planning our fourth trip to CR in March. This time with grandchildren (9 yr. olds). We have been to, and loved, Mai Pas, Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio, Tortuguero, Tamarindo, Osa Penn. and Alajuela. We will revisit some of our favorites but would like suggestions for new locations.
Thanks!

Last edited by rpowell; Aug 7th, 2023 at 12:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 12:52 AM

It's time to get off the beaten path! Why not head to the Turrialba region that remains largely undiscovered. You'll find small, family run hotels, specializing in providing an intimate and welcoming atmosphere. The area is the gateway to adventure and the Pacuare River and from there, it's very easy to head to the Caribbean coastal town of Puerto Viejo which remains a part of the country that many visitors returning to Costa Rica have yet to discover. The Caribbean coast offers some of the most beautiful beaches in the country, including Punta Uva, which in our view is one of the most stunning beaches in Costa Rica.
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 10:52 PM

Have you been to the Sarapiqui area? We enjoyed Selva Verde - there's some nice wildlife on site, and it's next to a pretty river. We regularly saw toucans there.
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 07:02 AM

I lived in Costa Rica for 13 years and just moved back to the US a few years ago. I've had over 100 people stay with me during that time and I've been asked this question a lot.

It is really hard to answer until you know what kind of travelers you are, what type of experiences are you looking for and how long you want to stay.

If you're looking for some character building experiences for your grandkids, there are a lot of worthy charities that have stay experiences where you can help out.

I also agree that Puerto Viejo is a great town on the Carrib side, but again, it all depends what type of travelers you are, luxury, adventure, cultural, backpacking.... etc