Hike Great Wall (outside of Beijing)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2024, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I've found decent info out there for sections on the Great Wall within the Beijing Prefecture, but I'm wondering if there are any out there with experience in trekking/hiking/visiting sections of the Great Wall within Hebei (outside of Beijing).

I was originally considering trekking Qinhuangdao to Shanxi province (either around Datong or closer to Taiyuan), but due to time constraints, I'm looking at starting around Beijing somewhere, if this type of trip would even be doable with the state of the wall in certain areas which I'm still unsure about.

Anyways, just looking for experience in lesser visited areas so that I can continue to put the pieces together and decide on viability and have a rough plan.
Old May 19th, 2024, 11:56 AM

Have you seen this website:

http://greatwallforum.com
Old May 19th, 2024, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

I had not. There is some great information here though to dig into. Can't believe I hadn't stumbled upon this before. And there's even an android app for it too. Thanks a ton!
Old May 20th, 2024, 07:57 AM

Your thread sparked my interest in the Hebei sections.

I have been to the Simitai (Beijing area) section in August of 2009. It was spectacular. At the time of our visit, we had the section almost completely to ourselves. Not sure why it was so deserted, but the cable car going up was not working. It was an easy walk up anyway. Oddly enough, of the few people that were there, we ran across some folks from our hometown (Arlington, VA).

Since then, the government built a resort area at the base of this section. I assume it is mostly for domestic tourists. One of the more famous walks is Jinshanling to Simitai. My impression is that you'd see very few people along the way, though that's just a guess.

For the Hebei sections, it seems that Wulonggou is famed for it's number of watchtowers and that it has not been renovated, yet has been preserved pretty well. I have found very little detailed info so far. There are videos of how this section looks (very rugged). Overall, there is some truly spectacular scenery nearby. To do a multi-day walk, I think you'll need help.

Last edited by shelemm; May 20th, 2024 at 08:00 AM.