Sardinia / Sicily / Greek islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2024, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 weeks of vacation — from Sept 27 to October 13.

I’m leaning toward Sardinia or Sicily. Sardinia sounds like it has more beautiful beaches than Sicily, but Sicily sounds like it has more beautiful towns

I’d really love to swim in gorgeous blue waters under sunny skies. But after a day’s swim, I’d also love to dine in charming towns / villages, I imagine al fresco . I don’t want a party town or club scene, but I don’t want to be someplace that has no life around dinner time either. … I’d like to share the evening somewhere Italians also enjoying, not just tourists from other countries.

Ideas? I’ve been leaning toward Sardinia for this trip — because it really does look so beautiful. But I just want to make sure that there are some charming enough squares in towns / villages in which to enjoy the evening. (I’m not into luxury residential neighborhoods… I love real squares and old towns). … On the other hand, Palermo and smaller Sicilian towns sound lively and charming. Im just wondering if the beaches near Palermo or elsewhere in Sicily are anywhere near as gorgeous as Sarfenia’s?

I also wonder how either compare to Greek islands in the Agean or Ionian Sea, but this is a less important question for now

many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Moderator1; Jun 6th, 2024 at 07:47 AM. Reason: removed response to a 13 year old thread
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 05:47 AM

We've visited Sicily and Sardinia and other places in Italy extensively. I live in Italy. I also just got back from a couple of weeks in Sardinia.For me Sardinia is all about nature: beautiful beaches, transparent sea of incredibly beautiful colours, Mediterranean vegetation, landscapes and seascapes. The dates you're considering should be quite quiet but there will still be people around and the sea will be warm. Sardinia can be windy and it's further north than Sicily.By Italian standards and especially compared to Sicily and Puglia the food is not as good. Sardinia does not produce an enormous amount of fruit vegetables and fish.For charming places (meaning a historic centre, interesting architecture, churches) apart from Alghero and Cagliari, Sardinia doesn't offer a lot. Sicily offers history architecture fantastic food from granita and cannoli to street food to restaurants and markets, beautiful towns and villages.There will be more tourists about for the dates you're considering and the weather could be better (further south). But beach clubs are more likely to be closed.Some beaches are on a par with those in Sardinia. Look at San Vito lo Capo, Mondello (a short bus ride from Palermo) and in general the coast from Pozzallo to Marina di Ragusa. The latter area is handy for beach in the day and then places like Ragusa, Modica, Scicli for food and sightseeingOrtigia of Syracusa is superb but very touristy, nearby is Fontane Bianche beach for beautiful sea and sand.If you're happy swimming off rocks there's Favignana where the sea is beautiful
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Thank you! This is extremely generous and helpful!

You say that for charming places, Sardinia doesn’t offer a lot apart from Alghero and Cagliari. But two cities / towns in which to enjoy one’s evenings could be enough for 2 weeks? I feel it can be nice to get familiar with a place, rather than scratch the surface and leave quickly. … If we do choose Sardinia — I’m thinking we’ll rent a car to see more of the island. But where do you suggest we choose to stay? Split our time between Cagliari and Alghero? Also include a night or two in Oblia and Oristano? I’ve read the latter also has a charming historic center.

Some have also recommended making time to visit Carloforte, Castelsardo, and Bosa — saying these are pretty towns too. What do you think? I’m open to being on the move around the island, but unless it really makes sense, would rather not choose more than 2-4 cities to spend the nights.

Also — would I be right to say that you think Sicily is the place you’d choose in my shoes? It’s very helpful to know that Sicily has some beaches as beautiful as Sardenia’s. Just as I don’t need many towns that are pretty and lively enough in Sardinia, I don’t need many beautiful beaches in Sicily — one or two to return to everyday sounds great to me! … But then one question: Can you recommend what city / town to base ourselves in Sicily too? I’m happy to rent a car (if you recommend) and stay in more than one. … Maybe Palermo and …. not sure which others?

many many thanks in advance!!
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 07:50 AM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Fodors. You posted your questions on to a 13 year old thread. We used your posts to create a new, current thread about Sardinia. Sicily and the Greek islands.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 09:32 AM

Early October is a bit late for beach hoilidays .In summer, Olbia is always full of tourists and it's often difficult to find a table for dinner. But n October?
Idem for Alghero.
Cagliari is less touristy.
Oristano is a nice place, but even in summer, it can look rather deserted.
When we arrived there once in July by train at 10pm, we were happy to find at least 1 human being around the train station in order to ask the way to our hotel.

You are right, there is much more to see in Sicily. But beaches outside the places frequented by tourists from Northern Europe will mostly be closed. There is always sesaon at Taormina, however, the place with the coolest seawater of all Sicily.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 10:50 AM

Yes, for me two interesting cities would be plenty for two weeks. I'm a slow traveller so I tend to choose a base and stay for as long as I can to explore the place I'm staying and the area. So, for me Alghero and Cagliari would be enough. In Sardinia you need a car to really enjoy the places.
Alghero attracts a lot of tourists but considering the time of year you're going that will probably be an advantage as you're likely to find more open. From Alghero you could also visit Bosa - yes, very nice, Sassari (well worth a visit IMO and not at all touristy), Stintino for the famous Pelosa beach but go first thing in the morning and you may need to book, Costa Argentiera and places like Porto Ferro, the Capo Caccia area for the cliffs and yes Castelsardo too.
Yes, many interesting towns, but for the architecture I don't find any of the places spectacular like I do Modica, or Ragusa or Noto in Sicily.

I love Cagliari and have visted three times by plane end of April/early May. It's a great city for choice of food, one of the few in Sardinia where there's a daily food market with top products, lots to see in the city and around - the beaches in Villasimius and Chia for example are incredibly beautiful (although Chia is often windy). From there with a car you can also visit places like Sant'Antioco and Carloforte. The only slight problem is the traffic in and out of Cagliari can be quite slow.
I spent a morning in Olbia on our last trip, yes, worth a half day.

As regards Sicily the two areas I preferred are around Trapani (Trapani, Marsala, Erice, San Vito lo Capo, Favignana, Mazara del Vallo) and the south east Siracusa- Modica-Ragusa-Noto-Scicli area. I just don't like Palermo, too chaotic for me....but loads of people love it. These are all just ideas.... Sicily is easier by public transport. If you spend a week in Palermo you don't need a car - Mondello by bus for the beach, Monreale by bus, Cefalù by train etc. For the other two areas I mentioned a car is useful but not essential.

would I be right to say that you think Sicily is the place you’d choose in my shoes?

Whichever you choose you'll have a great holiday! (and maybe need to go to the other the following year!)

About beaches being closed - yes, you may find a lot of beach clubs which provide facilities like sun-loungers etc are closed, it depends where you are. We visited San Vito lo Capo in early October and left about 10.30 because the beach was packed (if you click on my name and then 'about me' you'll find the link to my blog with more info about lots of these places - there's no advertising on it)..... but nothing to stop you taking your own towel to the beach. The sun isn't too strong that time of year.

Old Jun 10th, 2024, 03:14 PM

I haven’t been to Sardinia but the Greek Isles offer a combination of charm, interesting architecture, beaches and good food.

That said, Noto and that area looks amazing. Again I have’t been so maybe someone can explain how those towns differ (Noto, Ragusa, Scicli). Is one more liveable? More interesting? Closer to the beach?
Old Jun 10th, 2024, 03:32 PM

Looking forward to the responses!
Old Jun 11th, 2024, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd;[url=tel:17569204
17569204[/url]]Early October is a bit late for beach hoilidays .In summer, Olbia is always full of tourists and it's often difficult to find a table for dinner. But n October?
Idem for Alghero.
Cagliari is less touristy.
Oristano is a nice place, but even in summer, it can look rather deserted.
When we arrived there once in July by train at 10pm, we were happy to find at least 1 human being around the train station in order to ask the way to our hotel.

You are right, there is much more to see in Sicily. But beaches outside the places frequented by tourists from Northern Europe will mostly be closed. There is always sesaon at Taormina, however, the place with the coolest seawater of all Sicily.
October is definitely NOT late for Sardegna or even Sicily and Puglia. We vacationed in Sardegna in November and it was still very warm and beautiful and, yes, a lot of places were closed, but many were still open, and prices were less than they were in July and august. We’ve been to Sicily in early May, which some people seem to think is too early. Personally I prefer the beaches Puglia to either Sicily or Sardegna but Sicily has better beaches than Sardegna. It all depends what one is looking for. Research, research, research and then buy your tickets.
Old Jun 11th, 2024, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by lrice;[url=tel:17570344
17570344[/url]]I haven’t been to Sardinia but the Greek Isles offer a combination of charm, interesting architecture, beaches and good food.

That said, Noto and that area looks amazing. Again I have’t been so maybe someone can explain how those towns differ (Noto, Ragusa, Scicli). Is one more liveable? More interesting? Closer to the beach?
Noto and Ragusa are close to beaches as things are pretty close in Sicily. When we were there in 2018, we rented a car as usual, and I ended up doing more than 1800 kilometers of driving all in the south and southeastern part. Noto, Ragusa, Ortigya, Modica, Agrigento, etc, Piazza Armerina, all of them can be done in less than a day and then one can go to the beach, or vice versa and the beaches are beautiful, clear waters.
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 03:46 AM

Hi Irice,
This is copied from the Unesco website:
" Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto (South-Eastern Sicily)The eight towns in south-eastern Sicily: Caltagirone, Militello Val di Catania, Catania, Modica, Noto, Palazzolo, Ragusa and Scicli, were all rebuilt after 1693 on or beside towns existing at the time of the earthquake which took place in that year. They represent a considerable collective undertaking, successfully carried out at a high level of architectural and artistic achievement. Keeping within the late Baroque style of the day, they also depict distinctive innovations in town planning and urban building."
Now for my take on your question about the difference between Noto, Scicli and Ragusa
Noto is pure, beautiful, over the top, recently restored baroque. Not to be missed, it's also the most touristy of the three.
Scicli, Ragusa and Modica are geographically close and similar in that they are built in the hills so there's quite a lot of walking up and down and resulting fine views.
Ragusa is quite a large town - about 74,00 inhabitants compared to 24000 for Noto and 27000 for Scicli, the historical part is the Ibla area, like a village within a town. Quite a lot of tourists there too
Scicli is the least touristy of the three you mentioned, famous in Italy also because the Montalbano TV detective series was filmed there. It's a little more 'natural' than Ibla or Noto - less restored but with a slightly more decadent crumbling sandstone sort of beauty.
You didn't mention Modica, which was our favourite - on two sides of a valley, wherever you go either side you get stunning views of the other side. Oh yes and there's the special slowcooked chocolate on top of all the other Sicilian food delights.
We stayed in Pozzallo by the sea to visit the area. The town itself is nothing special but it was convenient for travelling around by public transport.
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspo...ip-report.html
The liveliest is probably Ragusa because it's a larger city with more going on, but now I check you said liveable, in that case I'd choose Scicli for a longer stay because fewer tourists and quieter
Interesting, all interesting in different ways.
I don't think this will have helped much!! In my opinion you should visit them all!
Old Sep 14th, 2024, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Your response has been so helpful, thank you. I will fly into Palermo on Sept 29, and fly out Oct 13, and I feel very happy about this.

When you say your favorite areas are around Trapani, and also the South East, would you suggest I try both in a 13 day trip? Or choose one? I'd rent a car, but I'm wondering if you think this is too much? (After Trapani, I'd go to Ragusa and Modica -- Noto and Siracusa would be too far.)

I plan on beginning by staying a few days in Palermo. I'm excited to explore the city -- I like a bit of chaotic -- but I'm also excited to take day trips to Mondello and Celafu.

After, per your advice, I'll head west by car. But I'm wondering if I should set up base in San Vito lo Capo or Trapani to explore the area? It sounds like San Vito has the prettier beach, but is more of a resort town. Im happy to take my own towel to the beach if the lidos are closed, but will the city be dead? And is Trapani much more interesting (as a real city, and not just a beach resort), and pretty? And when I go to Favignana, do you recommend I stay the day, or just do a daytrip from Trapani? ... The reason I'm drawn to San Vito is because it would be nice to go to the beach without driving every day. ... Thanks in advance for your time and response!
Old Sep 15th, 2024, 11:10 AM

A difficult question because it depends what your travel pace is.

You could easily spend 4 or 5 nights in Palermo, so 3/4 days to include a day trip to Cefalù,a half or full day Mondello by bus for the beach - take your towel, half day Monreale. You don't need or want or car while you are in Palermo. All those places are easy by public transport and driving in Palermo is a nightmare.

Then, hire a car and head west. The historical centre of Trapani is very pleasant and I'd be inclined to base there because San Vito is quite small. Or wait and see what the weather is like and we spend 2/3 nights there to relax and then move on to Trapani.

From Trapani you can visit the salt pans, Erice, Marsala, Mazara del Vallo, maybe Selinunte, Favignana (, depends on the weather and how much it bothers you to pack up and change accommodation whether you spend the night).

How many nights will you have left?

Not enough to make it worth driving 4 and a half hours to get to Ragusa, probably.

Instead if you have time, add a night in Agrigento and drive back to Palermo from there (look at a map) so basically you draw a line from Cefalù in the North to Agrigento in the south and concentrate on the area west of that