Driving safety along the Wild Coast SA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2024, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of 3 couples in their 60’s traveling to SA next April. We will do a driving road trip along the Garden Route and with all the advised precautions such as not to drive at night and keep your doors locked etc., I feel this is quite safe.

After we reach Gqeberha, 4 of the group are going home and my husband and I are planning to continue on to the Wild Coast. We are planning to stop at a lodge in the Chintsa area to do some coastal hiking; a lodge in Coffee Bay for coastal hiking and a lodge in the Drakensberg for hiking. Just wondering about the safety along the roads in this area in regards to car jackings.

Any info you could provide would be much appreciated.

Abby
Old Aug 22nd, 2024, 10:05 AM

Stick to main roads and avoid driving after dark, as rural roads can be iffy.

In Chintsa, Coffee Bay, and the Drakensberg, keep your doors locked and valuables out of sight and you should be fine.
Old Aug 23rd, 2024, 07:29 AM

Pre pandemic my wife and I spent three months on a road trip around South Africa and encountered no problems whatsoever. We didn't drive after dusk, not because of the fear of car jackings, but mainly because of the state of the roads, most of which seemed to be riddled with potholes, some quite large. We even found this on many of the main highways,

Our main concern was really on parking up in towns and villages where I would invariably be asked for cash to "watch our car"