What is the best time to visit Japan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2024, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my wife had an argument, saying that it would be great to visit during winter season, because it's still not that cold, but I heard that during summer it's suuuper humid and hot (which she doesn't mind). Which is the better choice in your opinion?
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 08:46 AM
mjs

Depends on where you are going. Costs for flights and hotels also vary by season. Generally spring or fall best
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 10:33 AM

Depends on what you prefer for the weather and activities. It snows in Japan so it depends on your tolerance of cold. It gets hot and humid in Japan. I would recommend narrow down to a specific month and go from there.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 02:16 AM

I think you can go to Japan during Autumn season when leaves turn to yellow, so nice, not too cold and price is still affordable.

Sang
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 05:41 AM

we were just there the last 2 weeks of may and a bit into june and weather was lovely. only 2 half days of rain.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 08:08 AM

The choice between summer heat & humidity and winter cold is really one of .personal preference.

Excessive heat kills people. After the Fukushima disaster they cut/stopped nuclear power generation and I think they raised indoor temps, cutting air conditioning, because of higher energy costs. IDK what the Japanese relationship with air conditioning is but my guess is that they don't use it much, that it would be quite warm inside. But with vending machines and other sources everywhere it is easy to find cold drinks. Summer means there will be a lot of green. There are several interesting summer festivals (thinking Tohoku). I would avoid Obon season in August.

Winter means shorter days. Possibly slippery outside. Fewer tourists. I would avoid the end of year holiday season. Might want to avoid the Chinese New Year season these days. Plum blossom season starts mid/late February so that might be good unless you want the snow. There was a lot of slush in Kanazawa when I was there one January but the snow was nice. Shirakawago was under "only" 6 feet of snow at the time and picturesque.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 02:05 PM

It can indeed be warm circa 10-15°C in winter in some parts of Japan.

For example, I recommend visiting Kochi in Shikoku in Dec. I looked into the climate data and found out they have 5-8 days of rain on average. The weather turned out to be sunny.

Okayama in Sanyo is famous for long period of sunshine.

Coastal Kyushu should also have fairly pleasant weather in winter.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 07:10 PM

I've been to Japan three times in August. It does get hot in the sun, but there is relief anytime you are in the shade. It is not humid. I found it perfectly enjoyable, except that you do have to worry about sun exposure.

Like many places, most people would travel in Spring and Fall for moderate climate and lower prices, if they could travel whenever they want.. Of the two, since Japan is so well known for their flowering trees, Spring is probably ideal.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 10:00 PM
kja

Originally Posted by shelemm
Like many places, most people would travel in Spring and Fall for moderate climate and lower prices, if they could travel whenever they want.. Of the two, since Japan is so well known for their flowering trees, Spring is probably ideal.
Japan is known for its koyo (autumn leaves) as well as for its cherry blossoms (sakura). As a rule, koyo lasts longer than sakura.

That said, the OP asked about summer or winter....
You might check https://weatherspark.com/ for a wide variety of climate statistics.
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 11:24 AM
mjs

I am sorry. Anyone who says Japan is not humid in the summer is not correct. There are places in the world that do get more humidity like parts of India and southeast Asia but in comparison to North and South America and Europe it is humid and heat waves in Japan can reach 40
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 02:48 PM

I’ve traveled in Japan in both summer and winter. Between the two I prefer winter if that’s the only two options.

While summer is hot and humid (very much so) one can enjoy summer festivals, fireworks, cold ramen or soba, kakigori (shaved ice) with fruit and ice cream, cold beer at an outdoor beer garden.

The only issue I have with winter is having to dress for the cold as I’m a shorts and tshirt guy at home. Putting on layers, taking them off and carrying them around, especially in stores and shops that crank up the heat is a pain.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 02:48 AM

We have visited once in Spring (for cherry blossom) and twice in autumn. We much preferred autumn, and the trip I'm planning now is also for autumn.

I've not been during summer or winter but personally, I hate hot and humid weather so I'd never go in summer.

I'd only go in winter if I was keen to see the snow and ice festivals in Hokkaido, or go skiing, neither of which are on my wish list.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 06:16 AM

Sakura (cherry blossoms) are not the only flowering trees to see. There are also gardens dedicated to wisteria (sensational) and others.

also, there are something like six different kinds of cherry blossoms.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Travelbuddy2090
Me and my wife had an argument, saying that it would be great to visit during winter season, because it's still not that cold, but I heard that during summer it's suuuper humid and hot (which she doesn't mind). Which is the better choice in your opinion?
Personally, I've always gone to Japan during the summer. I don't have a problem with the heat. Plus, I can pack a lot better in hot weather than cold weather as I don't feel like either wearing or dragging around heavy clothing. I'm used to weather here at home in Southern California where it seldom gets really cold. Plus, since I have spent a couple decades going to S.E. Asia for many weeks on end, I don't find the weather in Japan in the summer any different from the weather in S.E. Asia basically year round.
Happy Travels!