Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vincent House Residence London or similar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2024, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many years ago I learned of Vincent House Residence in London — perhaps here (kja?). It is a residential hotel with some rooms they let on a nightly bases, often catering to visiting scholars or people on short term work assignments. Some of the residents have been there for years. I stayed there yet again for a pleasant five nights in late May, but alas the seven nights I want in mid-July are booked.

It is several notches above university rooms! And in a quiet neighborhood.

1). Can anyone recommend other residential hotels or similar in London? NOT in the main tourist hub-bub?

2). How about similar accommodation in other cities? Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff …

Thanks!

Last edited by BarbWire; Jun 21st, 2024 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Verbs….
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this may not be classy enough but perhaps of interest https://www.universityrooms.com/
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 10:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- not quite sure what you mean by not in the main tourist hub-bub (which all over central London). The only Vincent House I'm aware of is about a 5 minute walk from Portobello Rd market in Notting Hill and has 3 or 4 hotels on the same block.

Some university accommodations are not bare bones student digs but nicely appointed flats purpose built for exactly what you describe. However they are wildly popular and I can't imagine here be availability this late

IMO your best bet in any of those cities for finding something in July would be aparthotels and also short stay serviced apartments which are aimed at business travelers because business travel is reduced in te Summer.

I'm not recommending this site but merely linking it because it lists a lot of short stay properties all over London. https://www.theapartmentnetwork.com/...nts/uk/london/
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. By “not in the tourist hub-bub” I meant not Covent Garden, Southwark, Bloomsbury….

i really like the Notting Hill / Portobello area, as it is not catering just to tourists but is a real neighborhood. The hotels on the same block are not mega-corporate monsters, or the Hub by Premier. It has a more “classic” feel, if you will.

it sounds like student accommodation has gotten much better than it was in my day, whenrooms in college were grim. Of course, Mrs Thatcher was just coming into office then and the economy was awful

onward with the research!
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 02:12 PM

One example of student accommodations I've used in London: The rooms were rented out year round, not just during term breaks. it was set up sort of like 4 studio apartment around a common lounge. Each room had a bedroom/kitchenette/bath/telly and opened into a common area with snack/drink dispensers, desks larger TV, etc. Nicely decorated but not posh in any way.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
One example of student accommodations I've used in London: The rooms were rented out year round, not just during term breaks. it was set up sort of like 4 studio apartment around a common lounge. Each room had a bedroom/kitchenette/bath/telly and opened into a common area with snack/drink dispensers, desks larger TV, etc. Nicely decorated but not posh in any way.
any chance you recollect where that was? LSE rooms? Pleasant, not posh, is perfect.
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 12:41 AM

I don't have a link that I can find but it was run by the University of London and is on Malet Street which dead ends at the north side of the Br Museum. There were several different UofL residence halls along the couple of blocks - some had short term listing and some were only for full time students. But this was in about 2017 or 2018 and things could have changed since then??

Maybe browse around in the U of L website to see what you can find. Pre-covid several London schools had some short term/B&B accommodations.

LSE for one definitely does short term bookings https://www.lsevacations.co.uk/Home.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -