Search

Belguim help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2024, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belguim help!

We are planning on spending around 6 days in Belgium. We are not ones to pack up and go to a different city each day. Is it best to base out of one or two cities and take day trips? I can buy a month train pass for $125.00. Is this the best option? We would be coming into Brussels, would like to see Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp. Any other suggestions welcome! Thank you!
Old Jul 5th, 2024, 12:45 PM

You do not need a train pass. All those cities are easily reached with a normal, cheap, train ticket. look at https://www.belgiantrain.be/en

Which you choose to base yourself depends on you and finding a nice place to stay.
Old Jul 5th, 2024, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brugge is very touristy but such an attractive place. The old architecture is lovely. I think I'd stay in Brussels and do a day trip to Antwerp, train takes about an hour. Antwerp train station is fabulous, old and ornate.

Then stay in Brugge and do a day trip to Ghent. If you're coming into Brussels first, you could continue to one of the other cities, then have time in Brussels at the end, before you leave. I found train fares cheap, especially compared to the UK. The Belgian ticket system is so straightforward.

For info on trains look at Seat61 website.
Old Jul 5th, 2024, 08:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd definitely want to stay at least a couple of nights in Brugge. It is quite crowded and touristy with all the day trippers -- but becomes a different place after 3 or 4PM. Once the coach tours leave it is so lovely
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 05:55 AM

I think that Brussels plus Brugge, Ghent and Antwerp would be plenty for six days
Other cities we have visited and enjoyed on day trips from Brussels are Mechelen, Leuven and Tournai.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 07:47 AM

We're spending a week in Belgium, headquartered in Ghent. We figure we can reach the other main sites easily by train. Will report back.

The only places we've visited in Belgium are Bruges and the coastal stretch near Dunkirk. Bruges is certainly beautiful, but I don't think it's necessary to stay there in order to see it thoroughly.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 07:53 AM

It's certainly possible to do Brugge as a day trip, but then one is obviously in the scrum with other day trippers.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 11:22 AM

Scrum? No idea what you're talking about. We're sightseeing, not playing rugby. And I don't understand how arriving from Ghent makes the experience any more hectic.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 11:42 AM

Because everyone and their maiden aunt are in the city between about 10:30 AM and 3 or 3:30 PM -- before and after those times it is a really lovely place. In between everything is crowded.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 12:07 PM

We stayed in Bruges for a few nights a few years ago in June. We were shocked at the throngs of people in the center of town. It was wall to wall people. In the morning and the late afternoon/evenings, it was absolutely lovely. But if I had only been there from 10-4, it would have been a one and done place for me. And here I am going back again this year--because I know how lovely it can be when the day tourists head out.
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by lolfn
We stayed in Bruges for a few nights a few years ago in June. We were shocked at the throngs of people in the center of town. It was wall to wall people. In the morning and the late afternoon/evenings, it was absolutely lovely. But if I had only been there from 10-4, it would have been a one and done place for me. And here I am going back again this year--because I know how lovely it can be when the day tourists head out.

Maybe jeff will believe you . . .
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 12:43 PM

I understand how cruise ship disembarcation creates crowds. But I'm unlikely to hit the streets much earlier than 10 am even if I'm lodging in the city. I'm retired!
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 04:08 PM

ch4books, your plan is a straightforward and easy one. Pick a city to base in (Brussels is obvious because it's a rail hub, but others are OK) and go by train to the others. You can buy your ticket on the day, the rail system in Belgium is mass transit and trains are never sold out, you just get on the next one. Are you over 65? There are some good deals with seniors tickets, not sure if that's a good tip for you.

jeffhullinger3220, I think janisj is just trying to manage expectations about Bruges. It is lovely but you do have to deal with tourists in the centre. And I have to let you know that they are doing long-term works on the tram lines in Ghent. The town is a distance from the station (about a 25 minute walk), and while you can possibly stay near the station, you still have to eat and the restaurants are all in town. So you have to manage this as well and look into the tram situation. I am not saying don't do Bruges or Ghent, I am saying, understand what you will be doing before you do it. Having said that, I sincerely hope you and ch4books enjoy Belgium. It's a hidden secret!

Lavandula
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Because everyone and their maiden aunt are in the city between about 10:30 AM and 3 or 3:30 PM -- before and after those times it is a really lovely place. In between everything is crowded.
Depends on the time of the year. In July/August Brugge is far more quiet than in spring or autumn.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jul 19th, 2024, 04:19 AM

For your 6-day trip to Belgium, base yourself in Brussels for a few days and then in either Bruges or Ghent for the remaining days. You can easily take day trips to Antwerp, Ghent, and Leuven by train from Brussels. A $125 train pass is a good idea as it will save you money and make your trips easier.
Old Jul 19th, 2024, 12:08 PM

Whatever you do, don't believe the transit maps for the tram routes in Ghent. Those maps belong in the fiction section. And don't count on the tram you need to take actually stopping at the station it's supposed to stop at. Buses, on the other hand, seem to go where the maps claim they will. But they're kind of seedy and unpleasant, much like buses in, say, Chicago. Drivers are nice, though.

Generally, don't put much credence in either maps or "information" signage in Belgium. Even the Belgians I've talked to laugh about the spontaneity of stuff like where public transit actually goes, where toilets are actually located and how one achieves access to said toilets, etc.; it's all unlikely to be where the signage says it will be. It's the most random place I've ever visited, based on first impressions. But the counterbalance to these nuisances is that the people here are so doggone friendly and helpful. I have never felt so much like the abrasive jerk American as when I've been around these Belgians. They're great.

Last edited by jeffhullinger3220; Jul 19th, 2024 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jul 19th, 2024, 03:00 PM

Where are you now, Jeff? Are you actually in Belgium?

Lavandula

PS I am actually not surprised the buses in Ghent seem ad hoc. They are running to different routes because of the works to the tram lines and many roads are closed. Information at De Lijn.

Last edited by lavandula; Jul 19th, 2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old Jul 19th, 2024, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't say the train pass is good value when we don't know what currency that is. There are many countries that use the dollar.
Old Jul 20th, 2024, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by lavandula
Where are you now, Jeff? Are you actually in Belgium?

Lavandula

PS I am actually not surprised the buses in Ghent seem ad hoc. They are running to different routes because of the works to the tram lines and many roads are closed. Information at De Lijn.
Lavandula, we are indeed in Ghent. The gentleman at Tourist Information was extremely helpful. First, transit maps were apparently updated at the beginning of 2024; those changes are not yet reflected in online mapping. Also, both tram and bus lines are truncated at the boundaries of the festival zone. Small price to pay, as the music and partying fill the center city in a delightful way.

We're loving Ghent, though visitors should be aware it's a pretty expensive place, especially for food. Probably about as expensive as London for restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -