Search

Fall 2024 South Korea trip feedback needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2024, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall 2024 South Korea trip feedback needed

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I will be traveling from the U.S. to Seoul, South Korea for the first time this fall. We will have 10 days total including travel days. We're visiting a friend on Jeju Island upon our arrival and are planning on staying there for four days, then heading to Seoul for the remainder of the trip.

We are just wondering what we can do to make the most of the time we will be in Seoul?
Daytrips from there to see historical sites, other must-see attractions, restaurants to visit, etc.?
How to best get around the city to such places?
We are thinking of staying in the Myeongdong neighborhood and would like to see Gyeongju and Busan if time permits or any small towns you might recommend.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
I look forward to your responses.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 05:42 PM
kja

If you can find it, I strongly recommend the Seoul Selection Guidebook for South Korea -- IME, it's far better than any alternative!

With only 10 days and a commitment to visit Jeju-Do, you might not have time to visit anything other than Seoul or the places you can visit by day trip from there ... but of course, that depends on your interests.

If you haven't already seen it, you might look at my trip report. The sections on Seoul (I started and ended my month there) begin with posts # 16 and # 100. 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 09:33 PM

A few years ago we spent two weeks in South Korea. It was on a bit of a whim as we were on a much longer trip through Asia to Australia, so we didn’t really have time to plan it too well. We ended up spending most of our time in Seoul and the rest in Gyeongju and Busan.

Agree with kja in that with the time you have , I would probably just stick with the two centres and head straight for Seoul, though Gyeongju could be fitted in if that appeals. I covered most of places we visited in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/asia/south-korea/ .

Getting around in Korea was fairly straightforward despite teh language and signage issues. We relied exclusively on trains and subways with a few buses here and there. The transport systems are very efficient and quick.
Probably best to book trains in advance once you have your dates as I recall they got very busy and booked out in advance.

We used the bus/ subway from and to Incheon airport and the city and the subway to get around the city. It was fairly easy once we got the hand of it. Googlemaps on your phone is essential. One tip I was given which proved useful, was to identify which EXIT you need to take form each subway station. Some of them have dozens of exits and if you pick the wrong one you could end up a long way from where you need to be.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 04:54 PM

Your friend will probably advise re your specific dates, but be aware of the CHUSEOK holiday, a massive three day celebration in mid-September. Internal travel is greatly affected, as it’s customary to travel home to family then.

Seoul is amazing; tour of the DMZ remains an outstanding memory..