Search

Planning a Mid-August Trip to Japan : Two Weeks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2024, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a Mid-August Trip to Japan : Two Weeks

Hello,
Pardon the bit of a wild concept to be planning a trip of this length on such short notice but such is life. My partner and I just found out her place of employment needs to close for a few weeks for sudden renovations. We now have 14 days for a trip and are definitely going to take advantage of it. Our rough dates of travel would be 8/10-8/24

Our instinct was to go to Japan as we had discussed since early on in our relationship's beginning. I know August is not the ideal time to be off but it is uncommon for us to have more than two weeks off consecutively for such a trip. We are traveling from NYC so know that the knocking out multiple days for travel is important in building the itinerary. We aren't averse to having some rain on our trip.

I know that Obon is obviously happening during our planned travel period. Is this unadvisable to have a trip during? I've heard the bigger cities can actually be a bit emptier which could be nice. Do many things close down (like parts of W. Europe in August)?

About us: This would be both of our first time traveling to Japan after many, many years of wanting to. we are two sommeliers who work in NYC restaurants. We love the outdoors, especially incorporating hiking into our vacations, the arts (visiting museums, seeing concerts), walking/bike tours, history, food and wine (the destination does not need to have prominent or any wine connection as we both have traveled quite a bit in that regard). Food is a really big part of our lives so we will definitely be seeking out all sorts of things from casual street food to a Michelin three star experience (where appropriate). We also would be visiting a kura to get more of a hands-on understanding of sake/nihonshu and possible a distillery (i.e. Yoicihi in Hokkaido). We really like to be quite active on our trips, usually walking 15-25k (and in some cases more than 30k) steps most days.

Are we crazy to try and plan this? I would hate to come back to the US and feel like we could have better spent the 14 days really sinking into a closer destination?

A sample of how I'd see things going would be: Tokyo 3-4 days, Kyoto 3 days, Hokkaido 3 days. In my head I really want to see Hokkaido especially for the natural beauty and outdoor aspects. I know it is quite far from Kyoto and Tokyo but flights from the latter are less than two hours (or Shinkansen double that). Is the Shinkansen a scenic way to see Japan ala in Europe? I have the Fodor's Essential Japan and Lonely Planet Japan books which I've been looking over the last month in hopes this trip would happen.

Sorry for this very scatterbrained sort of post. I am so appreciative of you reading this and if you have any contributions. I am happy to answer questions that would tailor any advice you Fodorites may have. I know I didn't touch enough on what we are looking for a trip.

Thanks!
Brandon
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 10:48 AM

Great website for information is japan-guide.com - if August is the only time you can go, then do it!
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 11:26 AM

As Mara said, if that’s the only time you can go, do it!

My wife and I have been to Japan quite a bit and last year invited our son and girlfriend both late 20’s to join us. They both live in NYC so flew into Haneda on ANA premium economy booked through UAL, which they felt was well worth it for the 15 hour flight time. Spoiled forever is how they put it if you can afford the fare.

Like you they had limited time off so we did a similar itinerary, 3 nights in Hakodate where we had a family related occasion, 4 nights in Kyoto and 3 nights in Tokyo. We flew to Hakodate and to Osaka to make the most of their vacation time. They flew home arriving on a Friday to give themselves the weekend to rest before going back to work.

We asked how all the traveling went for them. They both said the first few days in Japan were a blur trying to adjust their body clocks as well as needing a few days to get over jet lag on the return. We asked if they would do it again and they both said yes in a heartbeat!
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 11:55 AM
kja

If you opt for Japan (see your other thread), I second Mara's recommendation: japan-guide.com is a truly excellent resource.
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 11:57 AM
mjs

People do travel home for Obon but it’s a 3 day holiday. Weather in Japan is hot and humid in August. Think of New York City and on average add about 8
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 12:05 PM
mjs

degrees and more humidity. Hokkaido used to be much cooler but it has been significantly hotter in July-August. Sorta like almost everywhere it seems. No one I know does a lot of walking outside in August. It is also prime typhoon time. If one hits you will stuck inside for a day. The next day however tends to be really nice with no smog, less humidity and heat. Typhoons rarely go to Hokkaido.
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 12:16 PM
mjs

Agree that ANA premium economy is much nicer than economy. Seats slightly better than United domestic first with somewhat better food and lounge access. ANA business is one of the best. First class is supposed to be lovely but sadly I have never experienced international first class.
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 12:22 PM

>> I know it is quite far from Kyoto and Tokyo but flights from the latter are less than two hours

Lots of Hokkaido destinations from Tokyo Haneda. Am sure you can fly to Osaka from Sapporo nonstop. Besides the time saving of flying the airfare could be less expensive. See my thread about Japan domestic fares.

Riding the shinkansen is a great experience. The fastest one (all reserved seating) runs between Tokyo and Aomori. It is somewhat scenic and definitely enjoyable. If you fly into Tokyo you could take the train north, if you want to have that experience, but then fly to Osaka (or even Nagoya) to get to Kyoto.
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 03:11 PM

I love traveling on the Shinkansen, clean, fast and comfortable. It’s a no brainer for me on trips of around 2 hours like the golden route between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka. Beyond the 4 hour mark I start to weigh the pluses and minuses between flying and going by train depending on my destination.