Resort or hotel recs Algarve?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, there. I'm on guidebook #3 trying to find resort or hotel recommendations along with tour recommendations in the Algarve. When I go to the booking sites, like Expedia, I don't see many places for less than $300 a night, for example, in Lagos, at the end of September. Am I doing something wrong? Any resorts in a particular town anyone recommends, with easy access to cave, dolphin, kayak, SUP, nature, cultural exchange or exercise classes?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 11:59 AM

There could be multiple factors at play. September is still high season and the prices could be higher. Im assuming you're looking at Sept 2024? If so,, given that your travel dates are within weeks, many places that are on the lower end may have been booked already.

And, well, hotel rates have sky rocketed everywhere in the last couple of years.

Try a variety of hotel sites for research, but in the end, maybe consider going to the hotel directly - they may have a better rate on their site vs. the third party.
Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Many hotels don't seem to have their own website. Any ideas what town to choose? I've been advised to avoid the central coastal area due to over-crowding. Some stimulation is great, but I don't want to be woken 400 times a night by partiers.
Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:41 PM

It has been 20 or so years since I have been to Portugal, so my advice might be useless in the current climate. I enjoyed Faro but not sure if that is over popular now - it probably is.

One suggestion is to research trip reports on this forum. The Algarve and Portugal have been extremely popular the past couple of years and I'm sure someone here wrote a trip report of their experiences.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Jul 22nd, 2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 01:12 PM

We've been many times over the years. Mostly stayed in Tavira or Cabanas de Tavira, in rental apartments. Last year we spent a week at Hotel Ozadi in Tavira. You will need a car.
Ozadi Tavira Hotel - Ozadi Tavira Hotel | Hotel em Tavira | Algarve | Portugal
Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 02:27 PM

Portugal is very popular with tourists and the Algarve region even more.
Most hotels are fully booked, but the Algarve has many tourist apartments that you may want to consider.
https://www.garveturholidays.com/en/search.v01.php
Old Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
are you accessing them via the main route like tui?

https://www.tui.co.uk/
Old Jul 23rd, 2024, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Someone recommended Hotel Mirachoro Carvoeiroin Carvoeiro, and I found a price of about $137 euros there. I do read good things about Tavira, though. Thanks! I'll keep the Tavira option open!
Old Jul 23rd, 2024, 10:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tavira is lovely. We stayed in the old tuna factory. The main restaurants are by the Roman bridge
Old Jul 23rd, 2024, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CoralFlorida
Someone recommended Hotel Mirachoro Carvoeiroin Carvoeiro, and I found a price of about $137 euros there. I do read good things about Tavira, though. Thanks! I'll keep the Tavira option open!
We stayed there a few years ago. It wasn't bad but it's huge and family oriented. There isn't a lot to do in the village and the local beach is very small. A few good restaurants, though (Villa Medici, Taste, etc.)
Old Jul 25th, 2024, 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=CoralFlorida;17582882]Hi, there. I'm on guidebook #3 trying to find resort or hotel recommendations along with tour recommendations in the Algarve. When I go to the booking sites, like Expedia, I don't see many places for less than $300 a night, for example, in Lagos, at the end of September. Am I doing something wrong? Any resorts in a particular town anyone recommends, with easy access to cave, dolphin, kayak, SUP, nature, cultural exchange or exercise classes?
HelloYou might be filtering incorrectly on booking sites. Consider checking Airbnb or local travel websites for more options. In Lagos, look into resorts or hotels like Cascade Wellness & Lifestyle Resort or Vila Gale Lagos, which offer various activities and easy access to nature and cultural experiences.
Old Jul 26th, 2024, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=ameerhamza7095;17584125]
Originally Posted by CoralFlorida
Hi, there. I'm on guidebook #3 trying to find resort or hotel recommendations along with tour recommendations in the Algarve. When I go to the booking sites, like Expedia, I don't see many places for less than $300 a night, for example, in Lagos, at the end of September. Am I doing something wrong? Any resorts in a particular town anyone recommends, with easy access to cave, dolphin, kayak, SUP, nature, cultural exchange or exercise classes?
HelloYou might be filtering incorrectly on booking sites. Consider checking Airbnb or local travel websites for more options. In Lagos, look into resorts or hotels like Cascade Wellness & Lifestyle Resort or Vila Gale Lagos, which offer various activities and easy access to nature and cultural experiences.
hi. I did find a couple of good options. The larger hotels have a place to book tours. I might not choose to book at those particular hotels. Is it still possible to use them to book tours? Thanks