Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Gloucester Road Tube Station -- Lift?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2024, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...

We are going from LHR to the Gloucester Road station, presumably by the Piccadilly line. However, I can find no definitive information on whether there is a lift to the surface -- it appears to be a deep station. Can someone please advise whether we should:
  • Take Piccadilly to Gloucester Rd, since there is a lift that is operational.
  • Change to the District Line at Hammersmith because -- assuming the District Line has fewer stairs.
  • Some other strategy.
We don't have a lot of luggage -- just a 20" roller and a few shoulder bags...but I'd rather not carry them up more than a dozen or two steps.

Thanks.
ssander
Old Aug 13th, 2024, 05:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gloucester Rd station is horrible if one has unmanageable luggage, and is pretty bad with small luggage. Where are you actually trying to go? Because while changing to the District line is easy at Hammersmith, that helps not one bit at Gloucester Rd,

If you can't manage quite a few steps with your bags, your best bet would be to book a car service like Just Airports from LHR. Door to door for a lot less ££ than a taxi

Old Aug 13th, 2024, 06:38 PM

True story . . . Gloucester Rd station is the reason I haven't checked a suitcase in over 25 years, that I have since only traveled carry-on, and that roll aboard never weighs over about 20 lbs, and eventually resulted in my giving packing classes to over 15,000 people.

My best friend and I landed at LHR at the beginning of a 6 week trip around the UK, and like the young, dumb, budget travelers we were - each had a 28 inch suitcase stuffed to the gills. 🛄 🛄 We schlepped them on to the tube and got off at Gloucester Rd . . . and were absolutely defeated by the stairs We looked up to the top of the stairs, and between the jet lag and impossibility of getting those suitcases up there we sat down and cried (I actually didn't cry but Lin did). We ended up leaving one suitcase at the bottom and the two of us struggled up with the other. then left it at the top and went down to fetch the 2nd bag - when a very kind bloke saved out a$$es and hefted it to the top.

Gloucester Rd is not for the faint f heart
Old Aug 13th, 2024, 11:32 PM

Gloucester station is not THAT bad, there are some steps (maybe 30?) up to where there are elevators to take you the rest of the way. There are also steps from the District line, so that won’t help you. The stairs aren’t that steep.

With your amount of luggage, unless it’s packed with bricks, it should not be too bad. I have stayed in that area many times, and was going to carry way more up those steps earlier this year, but the Piccadilly line was not running at all due to work on the line. So I ended up with a car. Just Airports is 50 GBP to the area and that is paying with cash. If you stay with the tube, definitely check the journey on https://tfl.gov.uk to avoid any surprises with trains not running for whatever reason, a few days before.

I often take a car service but the last time, my luggage took two hours to come out and my 50 GBP payment became almost 70 because of waiting charges. If you are not checking a bag, you are golden.

Old Aug 14th, 2024, 12:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"you are golden" means???
Old Aug 14th, 2024, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
"you are golden" means???
In this particular scenario, it means not worrying about luggage delays. Sorry if I needed to be more clear.
Old Aug 14th, 2024, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Is South Kensington any better? Our place is 5 min walk from Gloucester Rd and 15 min from S. Kensington.

Once we're settled in, the stairs at Gloucester Rd won't be an issue for everyday movement around the city. We'll only have to carry the bags once, so if Gloucester Rd might be OK from LHR, but I'd like your input on S. Kensington, which is only 10 min farther at street level.

Also, Earl's Court -- which is a no-step station - is a 17 min walk (12 min further)...so that's an option.

Thanks, all.
ss
Old Aug 14th, 2024, 04:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rialtogrl
In this particular scenario, it means not worrying about luggage delays. Sorry if I needed to be more clear.
no worries, I just like to check I understand especially with US/UK language variants.
Old Aug 14th, 2024, 05:39 AM

OK, after scaring you off It depends on what 'a few shoulder bags' means and If your rollaboards don't weigh a ton. There are 26 steps per the TFL station site. Gloucester Rd would be better than S. Kens. since it is so much closer to your accommodations. And I personally would not walk nearly 20 minutes (EC) when I could just walk 5 mins.

The steps up are better from the Piccadilly Line than from District (40 steps) so don't even consider the Hammersmith transfer.
Old Aug 14th, 2024, 05:45 AM

Meant to add -- there is now step free access at S. Kens for the District line (not Piccadilly) but to change at Hammersmith and have an extra 10 minute walk (especially if the weather isn't cooperating) -- I'd just stick to Gloucester RD.
Old Aug 14th, 2024, 08:10 AM

Another option is to take the tube to Earls Court and then grab a bus to Gloucester Road if you want to avoid stairs and don’t want to walk far with your luggage.
Old Aug 14th, 2024, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
Another option is to take the tube to Earls Court and then grab a bus to Gloucester Road if you want to avoid stairs and don’t want to walk far with your luggage.
Or even catch a taxi at EC -- depending on exactly where you are going it would be less than a mile.